Chapter 23

David

We rush into the forest as fast as we could considering the rough terrain and the fact Molly is in my arms still unconscious. "How much longer?" I ask Jeff and he turns his head but carries on leading the horse by pulling the rope a few feet in front of me.

"Almost there." We begin to climb a small hill. "It's just over this hill..." the hike up the hill is painfully slow.

The horse struggles to get a grip on the rocky terrain, and almost makes me fall off its back. "What do you think is happening?" I question Jeff.

He looks at me over his shoulder again. "I don't know. All I know is she is bleeding from..." his eyes dart around trying to find the best way to put it "from her... nether region... so that can either be something wrong or that she's gone into premature labor." Neither of those options sound very good.

"Oi! Man. This. Hill. Is. Killing. Me!" Shane yells from behind us. I turn my head and see his face which is red like a tomato. He is hunched over and taking deep. No, he is gulping air.

Jeff chuckles. "We're almost there buddy."

"I should be on the damn horse..." he huffs out and I laugh. "It's not funny! You are in better shape than me."

"Okay. Okay. But only because you finally admitted that I'm fitter than you." He grumbles something which makes me and Jeff laugh harder.

We get to the top of the hill and I see a little cabin tucked away amongst trees. "There you go. See you survived Shane." Jeff says sarcastically.

The walk to the cabin brings the harsh reality back. My Molly is in serious trouble...

We get to the cabin and I pass Molly to them, they slowly carry her towards the door. I quickly jump off the horse and rush to open the door for them, they shuffle in and go place her on the out dated sofa.

I take in the small room. It only has the one sofa in front of a fireplace, with a small coffee table and rug separating the sofa and the warmth of the fire. The coffee table is cluttered with books, papers and all sorts of other things. Further in the back I can make out a small table pushed against the one corner with two chairs. I see a wood stove and a cupboard, which I suppose, is where he keeps his produce. There's a door leading to what I would presume  is his bedroom.

"Shane, fetch me some towels through that door." He motions to the door I was just thinking about. "They are in the cupboard just next to the door." He leans over Molly and takes her wrist in his hand, taking her pulse. Once he is finished he looks at me. "May I undress her?"

I appreciate him asking before just doing it. "Yes." I help him take off the coat and her shoes and the fact that her jeans are soaked in blood is quite concerning.

"Can you take off her pants please? I feel as if it is not my place to take it off." I nod my head and he lights a lamp to give more light so he can assess her.

I undo the button and pull the zip down. "Mmm..." I jerk my head up to her face. Her eyes flutter open slightly. "Davi..." she murmurs. My heart leaps out to her.

"Jeff! She's sorta awake!" I shout to him even though he is only a few steps away.

He rushes to her. "Hi Molly. Can you tell me how you are feeling?" He speaks softly to her and motions for me to carry on.