Chapter 27

Molly

I slowly open my eyes and see my baby girl on my chest. I hold her and begin to rub her head with one hand and pat her bum with the other.

"Ah you're finally awake." I hear a man's voice, I turn around and see a shadow. I don't remember his name and it is dark now, so I can't even see how he looks. "Do you remember me?" He asks and walks towards me.

I can now see him a bit better as he is infront of the fireplace, the orange glow highlights his sharp but unusual features. His crooked nose and his chiseled jaw stand out the most.

I see him holding something and when he sits on a chair that he brought towards the couch I realise its baby Shane. I smile and reach out to touch him, wondering if this is real. His skin soft and warm. "Is this real?" I whisper out.

I look at Selina then at Shane and my heart swells. "Yeah it is."

"Are they healthy?" I ask him when I realize they are early and I didn't carry them to full term.

"Yes. They are a bit underweight but that is normal with twins and them being a bit premature." I nod my head. "Do you want to dress them?"

"Oh yes please." He walks to me and offers me a hand to sit up. The pain rushes through me as I sit up and I bite my cheek to not scream out. He notices this and rubs my arm reassuringly.

"Sore?" I nod my head. "You were in labor for quite some time so it is normal." He takes the seat next to me not too close but not so far that he is in the other side of the couch. "Which baby grow do you want for her?"

He passes the variety of clothes to me. I take them and lay them on my lap. I look at the different colors that I picked. I was able to trade all the fresh produce we had for them. I choose a light yellow baby grow with bunnies for her.

"Oh... I don't have any diapers... I meant to make towel ones so we can reuse them." I say to him a little embarrassed. 

"I'll go see if there's any in my cupboard. I know I used to have but I'm not sure if I kept it or not." He looks away from me but I see the pain in his eyes. So I don't pry.

I pull the little baby grow on and wrap her in the blanket again. "Do you want to dress him?" I ask and I see him debating whether or not he should.

He clears his throat. "No. I'll leave it to you. I'm... I'm going to look for the diapers..." he passes me Shane and I frown as he hurries away from me. I place Selina next to me and keep an eye on her while I dress Shane.

I pick a pale green baby grow with sheep on for him. Once I get the baby grow on him, the man, who's name I still don't remember, comes back into the room with two old fashioned material diapers. "Sorry I only have these."

I give him a smile. "No worries, it's perfect for them." I put Shane's on then move on to Selina's. Once they are on I see they both start fussing, I need another pair of hands, that's when I realize David and Shane aren't here. "Where is Shane and David?" I ask with a shaky voice.

"David went back to the house to get a few things, Shane went with because he wasn't sure on how to get back here." My mind races and images of them dead on the ground fill my mind.

"H-how long have they been gone?"

"Mmm about 2 hours now..." he looks at the twins then back to me with a slight blush. "I think they are hungry."