Chapter 31

Double update :)
Only 4 chapters left

David

As soon as Molly was lead away, another officer walked into the room. I'm holding baby Shane and Shane is holding Selina. Jeff is pacing up and down the room, not a fan of staying cooped up I suppose.

"Gentlemen, if you would follow me please." I tense and take a step backwards. "Sir... this is for your medical screening." I take a breath and take a step forward. Molly needs me to do this. I follow him, I hear Shane and Jeff following after me.

He leads us to a room which is unlike I've ever seen before. But I haven't seen many things in my life.

The room has 3 blue beds in a completely white and sterilized room. The officer motions to two things that look like a crib but are made out of plastic. The officer sees my confusion and looks at me like I'm the stupidest donkey on earth. "You put the babies in there... it's a medical crib for them."

I stare at him blankly, why do I need to put the baby down? For what reason?

He sighs and rubs his temples. "For fucks sake man... the doctor has to examine them, so put them in the fucking crib, alright?" The way he says it makes me want to hit him so badly.

Shane must sense this because he puts a hand on my shoulder. "Just let him be... he doesn't know what we've been through." I glare daggers at him as he walks away.

"Fucking asshole." I mutter as soon as he is out the room. I take a deep breath and cautiously place my baby boy in the crib. Shane places Selina in the one next to her brother's.

I stand and face Shane. "So Shane..." I grin at him, I've been meaning to get him alone and speak to him. I forgot about it last time in the coffee room as I was terrified for Molly. He turns to me and I see he is wondering what I'm about to talk about. "Why were you a blushing tomato yesterday with Molly's cousin, Sue?"

His eyes widen and his cheeks begin to burn a bright pink. I laugh and Jeff begins laughing too. "You like her don't you?" Jeff says in between his laughing fits.

He doesn't say a word, he remains quiet and looks anywhere but at us. I'm about to tease him more when a man with grey hair and brown eyes enters the room wearing a white coat and carries a clipboard.

"Good day Gentlemen... my name is Doctor Gerhard and I will be performing your medicals... now before I get started, I would like to know your ages and names please." He says softly.

I look to Jeff and he starts first. "I'm Jeff... um... I think I'm..." he thinks for a while before he answers. "I'm 28... yes... I was born in 1990... yes..." he says confidently but I frown at him.

"Jeff... if you were born in 1990... you're 30 now..." I say matter of factly and he looks at me with an open mouth.

"Bullshit... I'm 28... right Doctor?" He looks at the man who is as perplexed as a person can be.

"Did you ever do basic math Jeff?" This just frustrates the poor guy even more.

"Of course. I'm not dumb..." oh man... he is not the brightest spark at all is he.

"So then Jeff, what is 2020 minus 1990?" The Doctor asks and Jeff goes quiet, working it out in his head. When the lightbulb comes on, embarrassment floods his face with a blush that spreads to his ears. "Okay, right then. Jeff is 30."

"I'm Shane and I'm 32." He says and it makes sense, I knew he was a few years older but 10 years is a bit shocking for me to know now. He doesn't look 32... he looks younger than Ben...

The Doctor makes a note and looks towards me. "David and I'm 22." He nods his head and points to the twins. "Well, I was out for over a week so one of them has to answer that."

Jeff and Shane exchange a look before Jeff speaks up. "Almost two weeks, the baby boy, Shane, was born first. Unresponsive for the first few minutes but after some stimulation he was alright." The doctor looks absolutely dumbstruck at the sophisticated words and information he provides even though he couldn't calculate his own age. "The girl, Selina, was a bit more unresponsive than the boy, it did take a lot more stimulation to get her to react and cry."

He nods his head and walks over to them. I walk up next to him, to see what he is looking at. "The birth? How was it?" He asks while listening to their hearts.

"The mother went into premature labor, roughly 7 to 7 and an half months. She started bleeding and fell unconscious, when I got her to my cabin, we got her to wake up and prepared her for labor. She was weak and after the births she started bleeding heavily for about 4 to 5 days before it lightened."

"Are you from some kind of medical background?" The doctor asks and my ears perk up because I, myself, am very curious to know this answer.

"Well... sort of..." his eyes dart around the room and I see the pain in his body language. "My ex-wife... well... we were or well she was a midwife... I picked up alot from her... also my father was some kind of medical practitioner..." okay so I did expect that but not about his father. I don't know what happened to his wife.

"Alright. The babies look good and healthy, considering they were a bit premature..." he walks towards me first. "Now then. Let me start my examinations, I'll begin with you David..."

My heart starts beating rapidly as I lay down on the bed, not knowing what to expect.