Chapter 24

David

Molly pushes with all of her remaining strength and I encourage her with my words. Finally after one last push the second baby is born. The room is quiet. Too quiet, the only sounds are Molly's breathing and Shane's footsteps as he paces up and down.

The baby doesn't cry. "Jeff?" I ask and my voice breaks. I can't bring myself to ask the question that I'm going to dread.

Molly leans against me and pants. She tilts her head back and I see the exhaustion on her face. I shower her face with kisses. "You did good baby girl. You did good." Her eyes drift close as I continue to kiss her face.

Finally a high pitch scream fills the room and her eyes fly open, Jeff and Shane let out a deep sigh of relief. We both look at Jeff and wait for him to announce the gender. "It's a girl!" He says with a huge grin and I see out the corner of my eye that Shane's eyes bulge out. Jeff grabs a piece of material and ties it around the umbilical cord, then takes the scissors and cuts above the tight material.

"You were right..." Shane says lowly. Jeff frowns at him. Shane looks to me for permission to share the problem and I nod. Jeff begins cleaning the baby and looks expectantly at Shane. "In their family... baby girls... are... um... killed..."

Jeff stops cleaning the baby and stares with his mouth open. "That's why we were planning to run away... somehow..." I say to him and he slowly nods his head.

He passes the baby girl to Molly and I stare in awe, she is beautiful just like her mom. "Hold her while I get the placenta out, once it is close to coming out you'll feel the need to push. And when you do... push..." she nods and continues to caress our little girl.

After the placenta was delivered and discarded, we placed Molly on the couch with a bunch of towels underneath her to catch the blood that is to come. I placed a blanket over her and kissed her head as she fell asleep.

Now I'm standing with Shane and Jeff. Jeff is checking out the babies and I pace around impatiently waiting to hear about their health. He looks over the babies very carefully and intently. After what seems like hours but was probably just a few minutes, he looks at me.

He smiles at me. "They are both healthy. Maybe a bit underweight but seeing that they are a bit premature... it isn't uncommon." I go closer and pull him to me, hugging him.

"Thank you... thank you for saving them..." I say to him and he pats my back.

I release him and he takes a few steps backward. "What are their names?" He asks me, I look at Shane and see that he is very interested to know. I smile a nervous smile and rub the back of my neck.

"The girl is Selina..." I say and they both nod, I hesitate before I carry on.

They pick up on it immediately and Shane questions me. "And the boy? Oh please tell me it isn't Norman or David. Pleaaassee." He exaggerates a sigh and throws his hand over his face.

"No... it's nothing like that..." I take a breath. "His name is... Shane..." Shane bursts out laughing and he disturbs the babies, as they begin to fuss. I pick up Selina and look at the gorgeous blonde hair.

Shane must sense I'm serious because he stops laughing. "Wait. Are you serious?" I nod my head slowly. "Why?" He asks me with a blank expression.