106

happy update!

and look, it didn't take 2 months haha

anyways, this update has a lot in it emotionally from both Emma and Harry, and shows where they both stand

also, maybe one of the biggest cliffhangers of the book is going to hit you at the end of this chapter

things are winding down and shit is going to get real, so buckle up bitches, let do this

enjoy ;)

Harry's PoV:

It was a difficult line to walk. The line between wanting to fall into the overprotective version of myself that scrutinized every breath Emma took, while also wanting to be the version of myself that was more vulnerable and softer and could comfort her better.

I could see all over her face that she was scared. She had been doing better, but since we got to d.c. I could see the fear in her eyes again.  She tried to hide it from me, but she wasn't succeeding.

When she was scared, she withdrew.

Emma seemed more skittish. She was more restless at night, tossing and turning in her sleep and often getting up.

Her restlessness made it hard for me to sleep, because then I was awake worrying about her.

Tonight she had been a little more still than the previous nights. I turned on my side in the bed to face her, watching her as she bit her lip in her sleep. 

I reached over and put my thumb on her bottom lip, lightly pulling it down so that she wasn't biting it anymore and then moved my hand back.

She was gorgeous. Even in her sleep she was gorgeous.

Her face looked slightly less stressed now, but she rolled over onto her other side, facing away from me.

I frowned at not being able to see her face, and reached my hand over her body, pulling myself closer to her.

God I was being so clingy.

If I would've seen myself like this a year ago I would've punched myself. But since the last attempt on her life by the RR, I was scared to let her out of my sight, even for a moment.

I didn't know who I could trust or where we would be safe... nothing was how it needed to be. Things that had seemed so certain before now seemed uncertain. I didn't know what to do anymore.

Emma let out a soft snore, letting me know she was starting to slip into deeper sleep.

Glancing around the bedroom we were in, I thought about what was left to be done in the townhouse.

The safe room was almost done being constructed in the back of the ammunition closet I had. It was going to be the most secure place for Emma and I to escape to in case we needed to... other than the bunker where the President would escape to if needed.

I understood why Emma's father wanted to bring us back. He missed her. Emma was his only daughter, and the other child he had left. He still struggled with losing Grayson, so the thought of losing Emma... that killed him.

He had admitted it was selfish of him to want her back, and I agreed, but understood because I would feel the same way.

I would want her safe, but also close to me.

Originally it was suggested Emma go to the safe house on her own, and I had refused that idea. She wasn't going to leave without me. That's how I understood how the President and First Lady felt.