Goodbye

I take a deep breath to calm my tensed nerves and heart. I didn't have any answer for his feelings so I resolved to state the truth.

"I don't love you."

He lowers his head to hide his expression, unwilling to show that he was hurt by my words.

"Nor I am in love with the prince."

He looks up at me with questioning eyes and I continue to explain further.

"I can't fall in love with you or the crown prince just within a few weeks. I don't even know much about any of you. My wolf is not there to guide me or tell who is my mate. You love a person for who they are and I don't know who you both are."

It was just bare truth. I couldn't feel any mate bond and without that how could just have emotions for a stranger.

"Then why did you accept the crown prince?"

"Do you think I was in the position to reject him?"

His eyes widen in the realisation and he continues, "I am sorry, I was the one who brought you here."

"You don't have to be sorry, you just followed the orders. You and me aren't the characters who can change anything, all we can do is follow the lead."

I get up and move towards the door, checking if anyone was outside or not.

"I think you should leave," I say rather unwillingly but there wasn't anything I could do.

He nods and moves towards the door, avoiding eye contact with me.

"I am as confused as you are." I wanted to reassure him and make him feel better.

"You can still count on me whenever you need me," he said with a faint smile.

"I know," I say slowly as we part ways and he moves away.

I close the door with a sigh thinking if what I did was wrong or not.

____________________________

"Can you tell me about the meeting? What is going to be done?" I asked Beatrice who was back now.

It was morning and the faint sunlight peeked through the curtains covering the windows. I could hear the birds chirping and welcoming the new day. The royal garden was visible on looking out from here and it was blooming with life and beauty. The scene could please any soul but not mine. I was anxious, confused and moreover concerned of the war.

People associate war with growth and glory of their nation but having studied the misery of war, I knew the truth. War meant death, destruction and devastation. Even if wasn't the one who had to fight, I knew I might lose people who are on my side.

"All the heads of the all packs were present to discuss the strategy, my father couldn't come so I had to represent our pack."

Her answers was simple but I wanted details and I urged her to explain everything clearly.

"Can you tell what is going to happen? I don't want to be an ignorant ruler."

"Almost all alphas from our territory have decided to help the silver kingdom. The news of you being poisoned has led to mutual resentment against our king. A meeting has been called in the capital to address the issue, they have denied the responsibility of attack from their side."

"Does anyone believe them? Maybe someone else was behind this?"

"No one does, though Cedric's brother is better than him. People are questioning his authority after this incident. We are going to take advantage of the meeting and to enter the palace of the king."

"How did you come here and other Alphas come here, aren't they patrolling the borders?"

"Everyone who had seen the last war knows that their own king was at the mercy of prince. His authority has already subsided, all we need to do is to claim the throne and castle."

"So everyone is your accomplice?"

"Not everyone but no one wants deaths in their packs anymore. We can't fight for a person who neglects our own good and trying to kill someone's mate for selfish reason is heinous."

"When will they leave and are you also joining them?"

"They will probably leave in a few days. My duty is to protect you so I can't go with them. You should stop worrying now. Our victory is inexorable, you just stay and wait for your mate to win and come back."

She pulls me in a hug and pats my back. She always does this to console me but I can't feel relaxed anymore.

_________________________________________

It takes a little time to tap the star so don't forget to vote.