I don't care

I was about to fall asleep when suddenly Arthur stormed into the room. I got up and blinked several times to adjust my vision, under the dim light I saw his angry countenance standing at the end of the bed; strangely he was wearing a normal clothes today not his armour. I quickly realized what made him like this.

"Why do you want to come with me?" he questioned sternly. I was unfazed as I was aware of his sardonic nature.

"I want to meet my pack and family. What if you lose the war and I am killed for being your queen?" I retorted back. My answer was already prepared as this was a question easily foreseeable.

"Do you think I am so incompetent that I will lose even when everyone is on my side?"

"Yes," I replied  in a reflex and stopped myself to speak further as I saw him grimace. I avert my eyes not knowing what to do, maybe I shouldn't have said that but what else could I have spoken.

"And why do you think so?" he questioned while folding his hands as if to show his rippling muscles, looking at me with a penetrating gaze.

He was indeed arrogant but probably strong enough to rip people apart with that ferocious build of an alpha werewolf but I can't acknowledge this.

"Anything is possible, the universe is limitless," I said hesitantly and he obviously didn't take my foolish response. Narrowing his eyebrows in a frown he waited for an explanation for the gibberish I spoke.

"I was attacked by silver poison, kidnapped by someone and then coaxed by you to act as your queen. After all such experiences, I don't think any soul shall have a positive outlook for life. I just want to see my family once; I won't be able to do so if we lose." I spoke softly and slowly, emphasizing my suffering to sedate his stiff demeanor.

His expression softened at the tale of my misery and reflected his mother's affection. He sat at the edge and I moved my legs back instinctively.

"We are not going to lose, not from that bastard," he spoke calmly. Overjoyed at the effect of my acting, I continued my drama further.

"How can I believe you?" I asked taking advantage of his sympathy. "Why are you even fighting this war? You said that didn't care about your mate but proclaimed the reason as revenge for me. Give me a reason to believe you."

"I have to avenge someone dear and if possible, I want to find her too."

"What if you don't find your mate?" I wasn't sure but I chose to hide my knowledge of Estelle. He didn't speak, maybe it was Estelle he was looking for or he had no answer.

"Will you complete the moon ceremony when you'll come back? Do you wish to always keep me tied here?"

"I will take responsibility for my actions. I can make you my real queen, if you wish."

This declaration was not welcoming but unwanted. Does he think that I am blackmailing him to be the queen?

"I don't wish to be the queen," I stated firmly, " I am not using your guilt for getting some position which belongs to your real mate."

I had already thought of a plan to get rid of this facade. His usual strict self was strangely melted today and I wanted to use this moment to the fullest.

"People outside the palace don't recognize me; if you find your mate, replace her with me and if you don't, declare me as dead due to some enemy attack."

As I spoke my idea of release, he listened carefully. In the end he gave in and getting up he said,"you can come at your own peril, I am not responsible if you really die."

As I sighed in victory and waited for him to leave, he made his way and laid on the other side of the bed. I looked at him confusingly, blinking to see if I was dreaming.

"Mother was worried, she asked me to spend time with you. She even compared me to a bastard who treated his mate below him," he said turning to my side. "She sees you as a daughter and your distress saddens her. I will have to sleep here, only because of that."

I stared blankly at him concluding in my head that this was the reason of his agitated emotions. Queen sees me like Estelle and her mention must have opened old wounds.

"Aren't you going to sleep?"

I looked at him and moved a bit more away. Facing the other direction I laid down to neglect his presence. I was uncomfortable and my senses were alert to all the mellowed sounds of night, even his breath could be distinguished and felt. I turned to see if he was already asleep and unlike me, his tired self was already in a deep slumber. His arched eyebrows, aquiline nose and thin lips was really a sight to gaze at. I stayed up looking and fidgeting around and slowly sleep overtook me in her arms, cradling away my worries.

_______________

Don't forget to vote.