Chapter 15

It was 11th August, my actual birthday. When I felt my Dad's touch, I opened my eye smilingly. Dad and Mum sat on either side of my bed and what are they holding? Uh ho, am I in trouble? "It's a muggle thing, confitti or something, isn't it Arthur? Your Dad got it for your birthday." Mom smiled to herself and continued staring at a cylindrical kind of birthday prop, probably wondering how to work with it.

"Molly dear, it's confetti. I got it from some supermarkets of muggles. How wonderful! You must accompany me for next time, Gin." Dad looked proud and stared at it, clearly amazed at it, unlike Mum who was confused and probably smacking her head in mind. My Dad has a fetish for muggle-made things; it amazes him, unlike Mum who is now irritated by his fascination. Well, I can't blame Mum for this. Once Dad brought me a toy from muggle world which pops up a clown when opened. I was scared for weeks and slept with Mum because of those haunting nightmares. Mum had to dismantle and throw it much to Dad's dismay. Mum still blames Dad because she missed her family wedding because of my fear.

"How do you work with these?" I asked looking at their confused face which made it hard for me to control my laughter. Mum looked at Dad that maybe, he knows how to work with these, after all, he bought this conf-ett-i. Dad only smiled sheepishly at us and we knew at the instant, he also is equally clueless like us. Dad is definitely getting some lectures from Mum soon. I am sending sympathetic vibes to you Dad, you need it.

"Happy Birthday, Dear. We thought we can make your morning joyful but clearly, we failed at our idea but I have your favourite breakfast ready waiting for my little witch." Mum said tickling me. I laughed and thanked them. Dad looked apologetically at me and I smiled at him and hugged both of them.

Not exactly a bad start to my tenth birthday.

As soon as I went downstairs all dressed up, I was met with complete silence. Ahh, something's fishy. I took baby steps towards the kitchen, alarmed. Soon I was hoisted up in the air, with Mum-Dad laughing and my eldest brother chuckling, probably proud of his strength. I did not find any fun in it because I am a grown-up, come-on which girl who has just turned 11 wants to be hoisted like a baby of 10.

Bill suspected my disapproval and gently landed me on my foot. I crossed my arms across my falsely puffed chest.

"Aww, someone's not happy. Who is that girl? Huh, huh?" He started tickling me and I had to surrender and clutched to him tightly, scared of falling straight on either my face or my bum, mark my words falling on either of them do not give any pleasure.

"I am not a baby anymore." I said mustering all of my strength.

"Aww, and how old are you exactly?" He looked as if he would burst with laughter. Git!

"10" I said proudly. Holding and counting on his ten fingers.

"That's a big number. But you will always be a little baby to us." He gently ruffled my hair.

"I just combed them." He ignored my complaint and went to the kitchen to pick his gift.

"Happy birthday to my little baby and I wish you never grow up." He kissed my forehead handing me the gift.

"What kind of wish is that? Whatever, thank you, Bill. I love you too." I hugged him loosely.

"What kind of hug is that?" He said mimicking my accent.

"The Grown-up hugs." I said flipping my hair. He looked at me and nodded sarcastically. Fine!

"Can I open the gifts now, Mum? I will bring the gifts from August's birthday too."

I ran upstairs as fast I can, even before hearing her approval. The excitement level to open gifts was much because I was not allowed to open my gifts before 31st August. Can you imagine this level of cruelty? Every night I was consumed with curiosity but I kept my control and today, finally, after such a dreadful struggle, I am allowed to open my gifts. It is a huge feat! Mental pats for my determination. After all, I deserve it. Skipping two steps at a time, I reached my room and picked up as many gifts as my little hands can muster. Ignoring the chuckles from the kitchen I raced towards the drawing-room.