Chapter 20- Kissing Parker Adams

I'm entirely shocked when I get close to my locker only to find Parker himself waiting for me there; I'm left standing there utterly speechless, if I'm honest. My surprise is evident if the wide-eyed and gaped-mouth expression is any giveaway to the sudden wave of confusion that washes over me. More so, my entire body is frozen to the spot, not a single muscle able to move even a twitch.

"Hey, Morgan," Parker says when he sees me, that adorable smile that always melts my heart already in place on his perfect face. My heart skips an extra beat at the thought that this particular smile is there just for me.

"H-hey," I reply quietly, unable to muster up the courage to speak at a more audible level; however, I'm sure he heard me, regardless of how faint my voice came out. I briefly hope that Serena isn't watching our interaction, an overwhelming fear that she'll make good on her threatened consequences pricking at me in a most peculiar and uncomfortable way. Shoving the thought aside, I instead focus my concentration on the handsome boy before me.

Parker steps forward, closing most of the distance between us in just a couple of his long strides. "Are you okay?" he asks, his concerned gaze setting off an unexpected series of flutters in my chest. "You've been kinda missing in action since the party," Parker adds softly, reaching up to tuck a tendril of hair behind my ear. "I've missed seeing you around."

Swoon. Crap, this boy is too sweet; I don't know if my heart can handle it.

"Y-yeah, I'm o-okay," I lie, blushing at the unintentional quiver in my voice. Or maybe it's Parker's gentle touch that has my face turning pink, I don't know. My heart is thumping wildly, and I wouldn't be surprised if he could hear it with how close he is to me right now.

Parker's perfect smile disappears for a second, making my heart drop into my stomach. He maintains eye contact and says, "I need to ask you something."

"O-okay," I reply nervously, my mind instantly conjuring all the things that could go wrong at this moment. There are so many--too many, really. Enough that I can't even begin to count them. However, I'm hit with a surprised relief as I hear Parker's question.

"Did Serena really threaten you not to talk to me?" he asks cautiously, his eyes searching my face as if the answer will be prominently displayed there or something.

This isn't good; how does he know about that? Ash wouldn't say something to him, would she? No, I don't think she'd do that to me... right?

"Morgan?" Parker's voice calls, concern flashing in his eyes.

"Um... sh-she did, y-yes," I admit, knowing that I'm not good at lying, anyway. And besides that, it wouldn't do any good to even try to lie to him about it when he likely already knows the truth.

His face immediately darkens, anger taking over his usually happy features. I shiver under the fiery heat of his gaze as I can see him mentally processing the information he has just been given. I hope the anger raging within him right now isn't directed at me. Maybe I shouldn't have told him... Why did he have to ask me, anyway? Serena had threatened me publicly, openly in the middle of a hallway full of students--the entire school probably knows about the confrontation by now; it's one of the downfalls of high school, you know. Secrets never stay secret, and gossip and rumors spread like wildfire.

Crap. What do I do to fix this?

I glance up at Parker to catch him looking intently around the crowded hallway. His eyes scan over the mass of our peers filling the space before he turns back toward me, locking his eyes with mine. They soften as soon as I fill his line of vision, a gentleness consuming them that wasn't previously there. Suddenly, his hand delicately touches my chin, tilting my face up to his. I swear that my entire body shuts down at this movement, my breathing stopping abruptly, as well as my heart. The next thing I know, Parker's lips are pressed softly against mine.

Oh, my fricken chickens! Parker Adams is kissing me!

He's really kissing me!

The fact that we're at school, surrounded by what's probably a majority of the student body, seems to vacate my mind as Parker's lips press more firmly against mine. My eyes close, and my brain shuts off all previous thoughts, focusing solely on this moment with Parker. Even though this is my first kiss, my body responds readily, even eagerly. I lightly press myself up on my toes to get closer to him and tilt my head slightly to deepen the kiss. My mouth welcomes his without waiting for my consent, but that doesn't bother me; there's absolutely no way I'd protest locking lips with Parker Adams.

After a few seconds, he pulls back and smiles at me before placing a small kiss on my forehead. "Don't listen to what other people have to say," he whispers, tenderly rubbing his thumb over my bottom lip. Flashing me a bright smile, he says, "You're much more my type than Serena is, anyway," making sure his voice is loud enough for everyone in the hall to hear.

I feel eyes burning into my skin and take a step back from Parker to look around. Sure enough, everyone is staring directly at us, most of them with shock written clearly on their expressions.

As much as I enjoyed kissing Parker Adams, I really hate all this attention.

In my peripheral vision, I notice Serena storming off down the hallway. My heart sinks a little as I wonder if this entire little show was simply for her. Did Parker only kiss me because she was watching? I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I suppose I'll have to overthink it and sort out my feelings later.

Because right now, Parker Adams is walking me to class. Again. With his fingers firmly entwined with mine.

And that's all that I really care about at this moment.