Chapter 39- 11. Build A Snowman

"Hey, Sunshine," Parker's voice floats through the phone. I'm not sure when exactly this became a regular habit, talking to each other on the phone, but I can't say I don't like it. In fact, every time Parker calls me, I get a little bit too excited, if I'm honest. "Do you have any plans right now?" he asks, pulling me back to the conversation.

Although we haven't been friends for very long, I've come to understand that this specific question usually leads to Parker and I hanging out together. My heart stutters in my chest at the idea of spending some one-on-one time with him. I'm not entirely sure how our friendship blossomed so quickly, but I can't complain; I'd be lying to say it isn't almost everything I've ever wanted. Smiling like the idiot I am, I shake my head, trying to clear my thoughts and focus on the topic of discussion. "Uh, no," I reply, my voice unusually giddy for such a simple conversation. "Why?"

"Good," Parker responds happily, and even though I can't see him, I can unquestionably imagine that melting smile on his face. "You do now. Dress up in something warm, and I'll come to pick you up in about fifteen minutes," he says before ending the call without giving me time to question or protest. Not that I really would protest; I'm quite looking forward to finding out what he has planned for us. With excitement filling me quickly, I rush to get ready according to the specifications Parker gave me, then wait on the front porch for his arrival.

Maybe I should text him and ask him where we're going? I kinda hate not knowing things like that; you know, anxiety and all. I don't know; it just kind of seems like an important safety measure. Not that I'd expect Parker to do something unsavory while we're together. I know he wouldn't do anything like that. But...

Crap. Just stop, Morgan. This isn't helping.

Taking a deep breath, I attempt to calm myself, shooing away any unwanted negative emotions and thoughts as quickly as possible. Now isn't the time for this. I will not let my disorder ruin this day for me. I'm going to go wherever Parker is planning to take me and have a nice time with him, whether my brain likes it or not. Overthinking can wait until some other time.

I don't have to wait long as Parker pulls up in my driveway precisely on time. At least that's something I can rely on--it will definitely ease my anxiety to not have to wait for him and wonder whether he's really coming. I don't think he'd willingly stand me up, but my brain seems to overthink everything... luckily, I don't have to worry about it right now. I thought I'd just convinced myself that I wouldn't do this right now; what the heck happened? "Where are we going?" I ask as Parker walks up the steps to my front door.

"Well, hello to you, too," he replies, his face scrunching into a slight frown.

I instantly feel a pang of guilt for my impolite greeting, my cheeks reddening in my embarrassment. I hope that I haven't offended him. Will he change his mind about our little outing now? I'm really stupid sometimes; I need to work on that. I shake my head slightly before clearing my throat. "S-sorry..." I mumble awkwardly, casting my eyes downward briefly. "H-hey, Parker," I try again, mentally noting to not be so incredibly rude the next time. Unable to help myself, the next words out of my mouth are, "Where are we going?"

With his lips turning up into a bright smile, he simply shrugs his shoulders and says, "It's all good, Morgan. I was only teasing you." These few words bring with them a soothing relief that I hadn't really expected yet greatly appreciate. I look at Parker expectantly, curiously, and so eagerly, waiting for an answer to my question. He's silent for a few moments before finally putting me out of my misery and saying, "Number eleven, build a snowman."

Now it's my turn for my face to scrunch, my confusion entirely evident on my face. "But Parker, there's no snow. How..."

He doesn't even try to stop the chuckle that escapes him as he watches me unsuccessfully try to figure it out. "I know," he replies, the smile never leaving his lips. "Just come with me, and you'll see."

Without hesitation, I let Parker take my hand and lead me to his car. After about a ten-minute drive, he stops the car in front of an ice rink. Still confused, I raise an eyebrow at him, but Parker only smiles and gestures for me to follow him. So I do, obviously, curious as to what exactly the plan is here. Once inside the building, I notice a large pile of shaved ice taking up one side of the rink, and suddenly everything makes perfect sense. It looks just like snow.

And this boy melts my whole freaking heart.

Slipping his hands into a pair of gloves, Parker asks, "Are you ready to build a snowman with me, Sunshine?" The goofy smile on his handsome face draws a smile of my own to my lips. I take the gloves he offers me and hurriedly put them on, eager to share this experience with him. As simple as it is, building a snowman was something I didn't think I'd be able to cross off my list--because it doesn't snow here, obviously. But this boy--this beautiful, sweet, thoughtful boy, has found a way to make it possible.

And he did it just for me. And it makes my heart feel fluttery.

I'm in way over my head with you, Parker Adams...

Parker and I shape and form the freezing cold ice shavings into the perfect snowman, the sounds of our laughter filling the otherwise empty building. I have to admit, regardless of my previous unsureness, this day has been nothing short of amazing... And it's all thanks to Parker Adams.