Chapter 35- 10. Pet A Giraffe

10. Pet a giraffe. Like, at a zoo or something

When I made my bucket list at the beginning of the school year, I hadn't really expected that I'd actually finish it before my time was up. I mean, sure, I was hopeful that I'd get to live out the fun and sometimes rebellious things I'd put on there, but... some of them have been kind of outrageous, you know? And with the severity of my anxiety, I didn't really think that they were achievable for me. It was kinda just a means to an end, if I'm honest.

And I never in my wildest dreams could have imagined that Parker Adams would be the person helping me to complete it.

But here we are, about to cross off number ten. Together.

I can't even explain how excited I am right now.

With a smile on my face, I bounce out of the house before Parker can even exit his car. He stops himself from getting out when he sees me, his eyes intently following me as I happily make my way over to him. "Hi!" I blurt out immediately after opening the door, my voice far more high-pitched and bubbly than usual, which brings a slight pink tint to my cheeks.

Parker laughs adorably at me as he refastens his seat belt, the sound sending a strange feeling through my chest. "Well, hi, to you, too, Sunshine," he says brightly. "Are you ready for this?"

"Yes!" I exclaim excitedly, entirely uncaring about the embarrassment I should be feeling right now. "Parker, you have no idea how incredibly thrilled I am right now."

He shakes his head slightly, another chuckle escaping him as he waits for me to buckle myself in. "Oh, I think I can guess," he replies."

Perhaps I'm overdoing it a little bit, but I can't help it; the exhilaration is coursing through me in a way I've never known before. I'm going to pet a freaking giraffe! Honestly, I feel much like a little kid right now... But I don't hate it.

The drive to the zoo is mostly silent; however, it's not an uncomfortable quietness. Parker seems content to mutually ruminate in my overwhelming happiness as the excitement continues to build within me. Every now and then, I catch him glancing at me, something about the expression on his face telling me that he's finding amusement in my unexpectedly childlike behavior. Or maybe he's looking at me like I'm a freaking weirdo; I don't know.

But to be honest, I don't even really care right now. I couldn't bring myself to even if I tried; I'm far too ecstatic to worry about it at this moment.

When the zoo entrance comes into view, my heart rate increases, a gigantic smile gluing itself to my lips as if it'll be a permanent fixture throughout our visit here. After exiting the car in a hurry, Parker takes my hand as we enter, his sudden touch calming me only slightly. I can't really tell if he's holding my hand because he enjoys being close to me or if he is afraid I'll run off and get lost, thanks to my overexcitement. Once again, I don't really care about the answer right now; regardless of the reason, Parker Adams is currently holding my hand.

Parker and I wander around the exhibits, taking in the sights of the many different animals. When we get to the giraffe enclosure, though, my heart practically stops in my chest. Of course, this is the moment that my nerves would decide to kick in; that's just my luck, you know. I'm suddenly terrified of the giant, towering creatures, my brain frantically trying to remember whether or not giraffes eat meat--people, specifically. I'm pretty sure they're herbivores, but the sheer size of the animals before me is incredibly intimidating.

What if one of them bites me? Ugh, or even licks me? With those repulsively long, blue tongues? I can't suppress the disgusted shiver that runs down my spine.

"You okay, Morgan?" Parker asks, giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

I nod slowly, swallowing down my probably irrational fears before admitting aloud, "I, um... I'm just a bit nervous now that we're here."

"That's totally natural," Parker assures, smiling softly at me. "Honestly, it would probably be kinda weird if you weren't a little afraid of getting close to such a big animal. We have the whole day, though, so we can take as long as you need if you're not ready yet."

I still can't know how I got so lucky with Parker; honestly, I didn't know it was possible for someone to be so incredibly sweet and understanding all the time. It's like someone dug around in my head until they figured out precisely what I needed in a... partner? Sure, let's go with that. And then somehow magically created him specifically for me.

If only reality worked like that, right?

Get it together, Morgan.

I take a deep breath, trying to simultaneously redirect my straying thoughts from Parker back to the giraffes and gather as much courage as I can find within myself. The little voice inside my head wholeheartedly tries to convince me that I can do this; I didn't come all this way for nothing. I didn't so excitedly drag Parker to the zoo only to turn around when finally presented with the very opportunity that we came here for. I'm petting that giraffe, one way or another.

Before I can change my mind, I rush to say, "Let's do this," before pulling Parker closer to the crowd surrounding the two animals happily eating out of the hands of zoo visitors. I take up a spot in line, telling myself that there's no way I'm leaving this place until my fingers have touched one of the majestic yet still remotely terrifying creatures. I've got this. I fidget slightly, both impatiently and uncomfortably, waiting my turn. While I'm entirely certain that my anxiety is evident, Parker thankfully doesn't say anything about it.

It isn't long before we're at the front of the line, and Parker watches me with an expression of amazement as he lifts our joined hands up to touch the nose of the giraffe closest to us. My breath hitches, and my eyes widen before a laugh suddenly filters through my chest, erupting from my lips. Parker's smile broadens, a chuckle of his own soon following my joyful noise.

I suppose the giraffes weren't as scary as I'd thought.