Chapter 32- Where Were You?

Parker and I had been having so much fun on our trip to the beach that we'd completely lost track of time. It somehow slipped right through my fingers, similarly to the salty water had done. However, I don't let it bother me much until I'm walking up the drive afterward and notice my parents' cars are already there.

Oops.

After waving goodbye to Parker, I slowly trudge up the steps to the front door, my belly doing awkward and insanely uncomfortable flips as panic possesses me. My hands shake as I turn the doorknob, and I try to stay as quiet as possible as I enter the house, hoping my parents are too distracted to notice my arrival.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite that lucky.

"Where were you, Morgan?" my dad's voice calls from the living room.

I'm unable to repress the sigh that escapes me at the sound of his voice as I close the door behind me before turning to face my not-so-pleased-looking parents. I bite my bottom lip, debating with myself whether or not to tell the truth. Knowing that I'm a terrible liar and that I'm already in trouble, I decide it's probably best if I'm honest. Finally, I reply, "I was at the beach."

My mom and dad stare at me for several moments, making me shift uncomfortably from foot to foot. This entire situation is so foreign to me that I don't have any idea how I'm supposed to act right now. Sure, I feel a little guilty for skipping school. But at the same time, I don't; I'm still filled with unwavering joy after spending the day playing around in the ocean with Parker. So, I don't say anything. Instead, I simply stand there quietly, waiting for my parents to speak.

It's probably a minute or two later that my dad finally asks, "You skipped school to go to the beach?" I can tell from his tone that he's entirely unamused by this situation, and I can't say I blame him. I watch silently as his brow furrows and then relaxes again, his lips twitching as if they're itching to say something further. For the life of me, I can't figure out what I'm supposed to say. What can I say, really? Instead of wracking my brain for a response while my dad is clearly waiting for an answer, I simply nod my head, hoping that it's an effective solution to the predicament I've found myself in. "What gave you the idea that it was okay to skip an entire day of school and lollygag around at the beach? Where was your head, young lady?" my father demands, the firmness in his voice letting me know that I've definitely upset him with my actions.

Still, I'm unable to find my words. Where was my head? I guess it was at the beach; I don't know. There's been so much going on lately that it's been more challenging than ever to keep my thoughts and priorities straight. I feel like I'm basically failing at life, like everything is happening to me all at once, and I just don't know how to deal with it. Shrugging my shoulders, I answer, "I don't know. It sounded fun, I guess."

My dad's next question takes me by complete surprise. While I'd been both expecting and preparing for a heavy and likely lengthy lecture, he instead asks, "Was it?"

I'm momentarily left dumbfounded. This... is this really happening? "What?" I question, wholly confused.

"Was it fun?" he reiterates, holding his hand out as if he were waiting for something. It's almost like he's expecting me to give him something, but I can't figure out what it could be.

Even through my confusion, I try to be as truthful as possible. "Yeah... yeah, it actually was," I reply, my fingers fumbling with each other as I await whatever is coming next. This entire situation has my mind whirring. It's almost like my thoughts are running endlessly-looping laps around my brain or something.

My dad lets out a deep sigh and pinches the bridge of his nose with his fingers before saying, "I'm glad you had fun, Morgan. I know you don't get out much or ever really do anything, so I am honestly glad you had fun. But please, next time... Just wait until the weekend or something. No more skipping school."

Shocked is a complete understatement for how I'm feeling at this exact moment. That's it? Is this guy really my father? What is even happening right now? This is so confusing... and slightly terrifying, if I'm honest. As my mind tries to process this strange new version of my dad, I find that I once again can't speak.

Before I have the chance to catch up, my dad asks, "Who did you go with?"

Adhering to my plan to be as truthful as possible, I quietly reply, "Parker Adams."

My dad nods slowly before glancing at my mom, who has sat wordlessly observing our interaction this whole time. Turning back to me, he asks, "You know you're grounded, right?"

"Um. I figured I would be, yeah," I respond, biting my bottom lip.

"Okay. Go on up to your room, then. I'll see you for dinner," Dad tells me, motioning a hand toward the stairs in dismissal.

Not wasting another second, I readily take the opportunity that has just been handed to me to get myself out of this unpleasant encounter and head up to my bedroom. As I hurriedly climb the stairs, I can't help but ask myself a thousand questions about what in the heck just happened; I have a hard time accepting it as reality. Maybe it's not; I could be dreaming, right? Did I pass out in Parker's car on the way home? Or perhaps this whole day wasn't real, and I made it all up as a way to deal with my... issues. Or perhaps my dad is sick or something--that would explain his weird behavior just now, right?

Plopping down on my bed, I decide that whatever it is, it's not worth worrying about right now. Instead, I'm just going to enjoy what's left of the positive feelings I've been blessed with today.