Chapter 21- Serena

I'm wholly consumed with minding my own business when a venomous voice sounds behind me, catching me entirely off guard. "I thought I told you to stay away from Parker," Serena hisses, cornering me in the hallway. "On what planet does that mean to kiss him in front of the whole school?"

I gulp audibly, my own saliva suddenly thick enough to attempt to choke me as my panic levels rise quickly. Serena doesn't display a single shred of hesitation as she pushes roughly against my shoulder, sending me stumbling backward into a set of lockers. Anger practically seeps from her pores as she stares me down, watching me intently as if I might try to escape or something.

I can't honestly say that the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

As much as I wish I could just run the heck away from her right now, I don't have the courage to attempt it. In fact, I'm almost literally quaking in my boots at this precise moment, the fear surging through me like a speeding bullet. "Serena, I didn't--" I begin quietly, but I'm harshly cut off by Serena's much louder voice.

"Shut up!" she yells, further invading my personal bubble until there's barely any space left between us. I try to back away from her, but I'm already pressed against the wall; I feel utterly helpless. "Parker Adams is mine!" she practically growls, her eyes flaming with hatred. And that hatred is directed solely at me. "Keep your grubby little paws off of him," she adds, her index finger aggressively poking me in the chest.

My eyes widen, and I desperately try to stop the whimper that slips past my lips; I don't want my fear to be so obvious, especially not to her. This is totally humiliating.

"This is your last warning, loser. Stay. Away. From. My. Man," Serena says, repeatedly jabbing her finger into the same spot on my chest. She continues to glare at me firmly for a moment before placing both hands on my shoulders, shoving me hard into the wall behind me, then she walks away.

I let out a deep sigh as she finally removes herself from my personal space, my eyes fearfully tracking her until she disappears from my sight. Resting my head back against the wall and closing my eyes, my mind wanders in about thirty different directions all at once. I debate with myself whether or not I should actually take Serena's advice and stay away from Parker. As much as I like him, I'm absolutely terrified of what this crazy chick will do to me if I don't listen to her, especially after this particular encounter.

Maybe I should tell Parker about what just happened.

Instantly, my thoughts rewind to the kiss from earlier, and I'm once again wondering whether Parker only kissed me because Serena was watching. What if he doesn't even really like me? Maybe it was all a setup to make Serena jealous. Or perhaps it was some kind of ridiculous prank or something. My heart aches at the thought; I don't want to think such things about Parker, but I can't help it. I can't stop my brain from concocting several incredibly hurtful scenarios, even as I try to keep positive.

I want to believe that Parker actually cares for me; he's given me absolutely no reason to think otherwise.

I should try harder to trust him.

And I definitely don't want to stay away from him.

"Morgs?" a voice says from directly beside me. My eyes snap open immediately as I'm tossed into high alert just in case it's someone else coming to harm me. The sight of Ashton's worried face comforts me only slightly. "You okay?" she asks carefully.

Taking a deep breath, I shrug my shoulders, unsure of the answer to her question. Honestly, I'm still undecided if I'm okay or not. With that scene with Serena still fresh in my mind, I'm unsure exactly how I feel. Ash is my friend, though, so I'm sure I can talk to her about this. At least, I don't think that I'll regret opening up to her. "I just had a little run-in with Serena, that's all," I answer truthfully, still somewhat shaking with anxiety from the incident.

"Oh, that witch!" Ashton angrily exclaims, her expression matching her tone. "I'm gonna have to teach her a thing or two about messing with my friends!"

"It's okay, Ash. I just..." I start with a sigh but stop myself. I'm lost for words. I ponder for a few moments, trying to figure out how to explain what I'm feeling; it's an incredibly challenging thing to do for someone who has never had to do it before. Someone who has never had anyone to talk to until recently. "I just don't know what to do," I admit, my face scrunching in my frustration. "She told me that this was my 'last warning.' I'm just... conflicted?" Biting on my lower lip, I pause for a second, trying to figure out what I'm trying to say. "Confused, I guess."

Ashton wraps an arm around my shoulders, giving some strange and awkward side hug that is likely intended to comfort me. It actually works, and I can't really explain why. "Okay, here's what we'll do," she says. "I'll try not to leave you alone in hallways anymore, and you're going to try to stay away from that witch. You will not avoid Parker." Giving me a look that's some odd cross between stern and caring, Ash continues, "You should tell him what happened, though; I know he'd want to know." Lowering her voice as she leans closer to my ear, she whispers, "Especially after that little show this morning."

I can feel my cheeks heat up at the mention of the kiss, a goofy smile taking over my lips without my permission. I can't even explain what this boy does to me.

Ash gives me a cheeky wink with a broad smile before saying, "We're not gonna worry about Serena, okay? She's not even worth our time."

Nodding in agreement, I carefully bump my shoulder against Ashton's, silently thanking her for being the most amazing friend I could ever ask for.