Chapter 30- 8. Skip Class

8. Skip class

Constantly overthinking every single thing makes it extremely challenging to do even seemingly small things that are not routine. Things like skipping a class, for example. I know, I know; people ditch classes every day... What's the big deal? I wish it wasn't such a gigantic step outside my comfort zone; I really do. But the change in schedule, the fear of getting caught, the almost guaranteed consequences... The fear of change itself--these are the things that are always holding me back. It's like every sliver of doubt or bubble of panic within me grips me violently, forcing me to adhere to the much more mundane things in life no matter how much I want to stray from the beaten path.

But today, I'm doing it. I'm throwing caution to the wind and not thinking about the repercussions of my actions until it's all over. And since I'm already skipping, I've decided to neglect not just one class but the entire day of school. Ash and I are going to kill two birds with one stone again and knock both numbers eight and nine off the list at once.

We're kind of on a roll, I think.

That thought stops me in my tracks, my chest suddenly deflating like a balloon that has suddenly sprung a leak. Could Ashton possibly know what that list means to me? Could she have somehow figured it out? Does she know what I plan to do after everything is checked off...? With everything that has happened recently, including her accidental discovery of my, um, problem... I suppose it's not entirely impossible for her to have some idea of what I'm planning. As my chest fills with a dull ache, I shake my head to clear those thoughts away; I can save them for later.

Aside from my erratic wonderings, I'm actually pretty excited to ditch school with my best friend, underneath all the nerves I'm feeling. If I'm honest with myself, this is a particularly momentous occasion for me. So, today, I'm leaving it all behind for a few hours and spending some time basking in my impromptu display of rebellion.

Today, I'm going to the beach with my best friend.

Since my parents are already gone to work this morning, leaving the house unnoticed won't be a problem this time, which is a massive bonus for me, something of epic proportions. Okay, so that's probably a little bit dramatic. But sneaking around was a lot of work the last time, and it obviously didn't end well; I don't know if I'm up for all that extra trouble right now.

I hear a knock at the door, which prompts me to move faster. Quickly, I slip on a shirt and some shorts over my swimsuit and then rush down the stairs, eagerness fueling my movements. However, when the door swings open, I'm completely thrown for a loop when the person waiting for me on the other side is not Ashton... but Parker Adams.

"Parker!" I exclaim in surprise, the smile on the boy's face widening at my shocked expression. I can't really tell if I'm nervous or happy to see him or if my confusion is suddenly taking over and rendering me temporarily stupid, but I suppose it doesn't matter. "What are you doing here?" I ask, peeking around him to check the driveway for Ash.

"We're going to the beach," he answers, that smile still taking over his entire face as if there's nothing wrong with this scenario. It's almost like he fully believes that this was the plan all along, and he hasn't just sprung a last-minute change on me and expected me to readily accept it.

I can't help but feel flustered. Confusion, surprise, anxiousness, all these emotions come at me all at once, lacing together into some tangled and inescapable web. I don't know how to feel; I don't know what to say, how to respond. My mouth falls open as if words are trying to come out, but I don't actually say anything; I just gape at Parker silently like a fish or something. Some weird and probably wholly unattractive fish that evidently has no freaking clue as to what's happening. "But... where's Ashton?" I finally say, my voice sounding breathy, as if it took a significant effort just to get the words past my lips.

Parker simply shrugs his shoulders, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his shorts as he leans back on his heels. "She asked me to take you instead," he answers, his eyes raking over my face. "I hope that's okay."

My heart skips a beat or three as I let his words sink in. Parker Adams is skipping school to take me to the beach. He's risking detention and possible trouble with his parents for me. For the life of me, I can't seem to find a reason to not be okay with the unexpected change of plans, which is highly unusual for me. Instead of being annoyed or afraid of the new direction the day is taking, I find myself feeling... ecstatic beyond words. My heart warms in my chest, and my stomach does this strange flip, and I'm pretty sure I'm melting into the floor right now. And while I don't really understand what it means, I can't bring myself to be upset about it, not when Parker freaking Adams is looking at me like that.

Snapping myself out of the daze I've somehow lost myself in, I feel my cheeks heat up in slight embarrassment as I say, "I guess I'm ready to go when you are."

The giant grin I get in return steals my breath away. Parker removes his hands from his pockets and holds one out in my direction with the palm up, offering it to me. I'm unable to stop my lips from curving upward as I place my hand in his and take a step outside of my house, pulling the door closed behind me.

Honestly, if all last-minute changes of plans were like this, I probably wouldn't mind them nearly as much. Or at all.