Chapter 23: That's my favorite shirt

"Where are you going?" Percy asked.

Percy had been about to ring the bell when the door had opened and out came Annabeth, dressed up in a nice pair of jeans and his favorite blue shirt. She was clearly going out somewhere. 

The moment he asked her that she bit her lip and start stuttering about going somewhere. She was hiding something. But what could she be hiding?

'Wait a minute, was it possible that she didn't want to see me?' Percy thought. But why would she do that? Unless she was going to meet her soulmate. It explained a lot of things- why she was supposedly too busy to tag along with him, why she wasn't jealous about him meeting his soulmate and why she had worn his favorite t-shirt and had dressed up nicely to meet someone.

Percy clenched his jaw and tried not to scowl. "You are going to meet your soulmate."

"No, I-"

Percy knew he was right. He knew Annabeth too long to know her telltale signs. Suddenly he didn't feel too keen on telling her about him loving her. This was exactly why he had pushed her away in the first place- to avoid getting hurt. But here he was, in love with a girl who clearly chose someone else over him.

"Fine," Percy said curtly. "I can come back later."

"Percy, you don't understand. I-"

"Save it."

"It won't hurt to listen to me."

"Yeah it will. If you don't remember, I've had my fair share of cheerleaders who just want to 'explain' when you catch them cheating. Besides, we aren't even dating. We are just best friends, right? I am not mad. I don't care."

Annabeth bit her lip to stop herself from laughing and raised an eyebrow. "Uh-huh. You sure as hell aren't doing a good job of not caring. You are literally clenching your fists. That doesn't look very 'not caring' to me."

"Whatever," Percy muttered.

"Just give me a minute," Annabeth said stepping closer to him.

Percy hated the fact that he wanted to step closer to her and wrap his arms around her and bury his face in her hair, in spite the fact that she was braking his heart into pieces.

"I don't know how talking will help the fact that the girl I love-" his voice cracked. Not a good sign. Crying in front of the girl who broke your heart is not good.

He cleared his throat. "the girl I love, wants to be with someone else."

"Not that I am agreeing to the fact that I want to be with someone else but just because I'm meeting him doesn't mean I like him."

"That is my favorite shirt. You dressed up nice and wore my favorite shirt to meet him," Percy said with contempt.

"Percy," Annabeth said slowly. "Explain this to me. This is your favorite shirt. Then how do you know that he'll like it. Not every one is obsessed with the color blue, you know."

"I-" Percy stopped talking. Clearly, he hadn't thought this through. Thinking had never been his strong point anyway, Annabeth thought enough for the both of them.

"I wore this because I was going to meet you," Annabeth said and smacked him lightly on the head.

"And before you freak out about my soulmate, yes, I love him a lot. You know why?"

'That's because you are my soulmate, you idiot,'  his soulmate mindlinked him.

Aaaaand Percy's jaw dropped open.