KITTENS

The sky is orange-red, the sun is about to set. But I am still here, walking on a road that is almost dark. I can't wait to get home and throw my body on the bed. Tomorrow I have to find a side job, I can not expect with the principal alone. After making money, I will buy a bicycle. Less tired when there is a bike.

I kicked the pebbles on the road, my hands in my pockets. Suddenly I heard the sound of a kitten. I searched for the sound and found a few meters in front of me. I went to the kitten box and found two cute kittens.

One is white and the other is black and white. I stroked the kitten's head. "Where is your mother?" I asked and just got a 'meow' from this cute creature. "Are you hungry?" I caressed and they replied 'meow'. I chuckled "Meow, meow, meow?" I try to speak in their language.

How funny I am, I laughed.

But I was surprised when I heard someone's voice. "Interesting." I looked back and I saw her. A cat-eyed woman, standing in a luxury car - that’s what I remember.

Now, we are only a few inches away and I can see her face very clearly with the help of street lights. There was a smile on her face but her eyes were fixed on the kitten. I also watched the kitten. "Sadly, people throw them away." I said.

I heard her go to my side and I looked up. There is plastic in her hand. "Is that cat food?" I stood up and looked at her. She is shorter than me, I can smell the scent of her perfume.

She did not answer my question, in fact she bent down and took out the food. "Kittens do not eat such food. They need milk." I said. She placed the food on the edge of the kitten box after she opened it, then she stood still looking at the cute animal.

"I know," she said. "That's for their mother."

I raised my eyebrows, then I heard the sound of a cat in a dark alley. The cat came out and came to her children's place. I saw her bite the garbage plastic with food leftovers inside. "Do you know this cat?" I turned my eyes away from the cat and looked at the woman next to me.

She nodded. "I always come here to give them food." Her eyes were still staring at the cat.

"Why didn't you bring this cat home?" I said and went to see the cat. The mother cat is cleaning her cubs.

"I can't keep them." She said. Maybe her parents don’t like cats or her family is allergic to cat hair?

I bent down and caressed the mother cat. "I will take care of them." The woman was shocked. "I will take care of you all." I said to the Cat. "Before that, I have to name them." I pointed to the white kitten, "Snowy" and then the black and white, "Blowy."

The woman chuckled. "Weird name."

I smiled and then I pointed to the mother cat. "And you are Lovely." The woman stood firmly next to me, as if she was surprised again to hear my words.

"Why Lovely?" She asked.

"Because she is a mother cat who gives her love to her children." I said. "If she's a human being, she is a very lovely person."

I caressed the cat's fur, even though her fur was dirty. I have to buy them beds, toys for them to play with and so on.

"What is your name?" The woman asked.

"Eun Y/N" I stood up and looked at her, our eyes met. My eyes widened when I saw her eyes. The eyes were very familiar, it was just like her eyes- sadness, loneliness, pain, misery. But she can still smile. I tried to look deeper, wondering why she was like that. Her eyes reminded me of her.

"My name is Jennie Kim." She held out her hand, but I just looked at her. I tried to forget all about her, but when I looked into this girl’s eyes, all the memories of the past came back. "Are you okay?" She asked in confusion as I did not shake her hand.

I nodded and shook her hand. "Yeah, greetings." I was forced to smile.

• • •

I let out a very long sigh, I could not sleep. I turned left then right, still unable to sleep. Those eyes, I can not forget. With just a pair of eyes, all the past came to haunt me.

Damn! I want to cry but not a single tear wants to come out, since she left me, I promise not to cry anymore. No matter how much I want to cry, I still can't.

I groaned and sat on the edge of the bed, head down. I sighed and stood up to go to the kitchen, I looked for glasses and water. When I found it, I poured water into a glass and drank it.

Meow.

I looked down and saw Lovely at my feet was waving her head there. I smiled and felt a little calm.

I bent down, took her and hugged her. "Can you accompany me to sleep?" She replied to me with a 'meow'. I went into the room and put her down along with the kittens.

"Good night." I whispered.