54| A Mother's Love

You're going to hate me :D

--

When Jungkook arrived at his parents' mansion later that evening, his mood hadn't gotten much better. The headache only got worse, and his back hurt from the long drive too. He had a feeling that the whole world was against him today and that he had no one to open up to, no one who'd understand him. Jungkook knew this was all his fault, that he had gotten himself into this mess willingly, still he desperately needed someone to tell him that there was a way out.

Without hurting Seohyun.

Without hurting anyone.

"Good evening, Sir. I'm glad you were able to visit us at this late hour," a maid greeted him and took his coat, "How has your day been?"

"Thank you, Yuna. It was fine."

"Oh, there he is!" A loud voice stated, making Jungkook turn around to watch his mother gracefully walk down the stairs as she welcomed him with a bright smile. His expression softened, and he approached her slowly.

"Mother, it's nice to see you."

She hugged him tightly.

"We haven't seen each other in so long," Young Ae pouted when they let go, gently caressing his face with her slim fingers, "Is that how you treat your own mother? Sungjin wouldn't come visit me either, and your father is always busy with the company. I feel so alone!"

"Well, I'm here now-"

"Oh my, you look tired. Have you eaten already? Why are your eyes this red? You look pale."

Jungkook tried to not roll his eyes at his mother's dramatic behavior, gently pushing her hands away as she continued to inspect his face worriedly with a small frown.

"I'm not a child anymore, Mom. I can take care of myself. Just another busy day at the hospital," he sighed.

"Jaewon already told me you were feeling sick, so I made sure to make our cook prepare a proper meal for you."

"I appreciate your concerns, but I don't feel that hungry yet-"

"Ah, nonsense! You're not leaving without having dinner with your poor mother," Young Ae insisted and already walked away, giving him no choice but to follow. She looked especially stunning today, wearing a white lace dress and expensive jewelry. Jungkook wondered why she always made an effort to look this good, even if it was just her own son visiting. He couldn't remember the last time he had seen her in her most natural state, without being all dressed up and ready to leave at any moment.

"You know, I already wondered why you wouldn't come visit us," she said, "Did I do something wrong? You didn't even give me a call."

Oh there she was, making him feel guilty again. To be honest, Jungkook was very much aware of the fact that he hadn't really tried to reach out to his parents. Things with Seohyun and Jimin weren't getting better, and he needed time to collect himself. He wasn't the type to throw random tantrums when something didn't go his way. Instead, he rather kept everything to himself, silently trying to find the best solutions for his problems. He didn't want anyone else to make decisions for him.

However, it was obvious someone thought otherwise.

When Jungkook entered his office in the morning, he didn't expect to find a random envelope on his desk. His name was written on it, the handwriting neat and stylish. Gently, he picked it up and ran his fingers over the dark ink.

At first, he suspected something related to work. Nurses or other doctors usually left important documents here whenever they couldn't approach him directly.