one shot. (2)

Qasim Farooq and Rania Ahmed.

November went, and December arrived, bringing with it a shivering gust of wind and the stench of petrichor

Winters were peaceful in Lahore, with a deary frost and quiet nights.

Rania's profound passion for winters was primarily due to the silence. Her concept of calm is long winter nights cuddled up under a comfortable blanket, drinking warm tea, and watching the silliest Rom-com on the laptop.
If it was in her hands, she would never allow winters to end.

The frigid breeze hitting her face in the winter makes make her more alive than she already is. That's why every winter she just sits in the background of her university where usually nobody comes and enjoys the silence that her favorite season brings.

Gazing at the hidden sun behind the misty clouds, she smile lightly, she was admiring the view when her classmate's voice reached her ears.

"There you are! I looked all around the campus for you, and thank God I found you here; I thought I'd be old by the time I got you."

Rolling her eyes, Rania stared at the dark-haired girl with a scowl.

"Quit being dramatic Sana,"

Sana snorted, "if you think I'm being dramatic then I don't know what you would call professor Ayub's behavior who is searching for you like a madman."

Her statement startled Rania. If the grumpiest professor of the university was looking for her then it is certain that it's not good news. But, in her memory there was nothing she did that would make her professor furious. She submitted the assignment on time and aced the midterm with a solid A.

"Why he's looking for me?"

Sana shrugged nonchalantly.

"Don't know, but he looked agitated, I'm sure if he was a cartoon the steam would be probably come out of his ears by now."

Sana's declaration genuinely worried her and without listening to anything else, she collected her books and jogged towards her professor's office.

Running towards his office, she looked at many concerned faces whispering something while gazing at her. She swears she even heard someone telling her 'good luck.'

Every step taken towards the office was making her fearful.

You didn't do anything wrong!
Her mind, again and again, assured her.

Knocking on the door, Rania waited for her professor's permission.

"Come in." An indignant voice spoke from the other side of the door.