15 || Eagles

The moonlight shone through the tree on the company as they began their race down the mountain away from the pursuit of the bloodthirsty wargs

The moonlight shone through the tree on the company as they began their race down the mountain away from the pursuit of the bloodthirsty wargs. Fili kept a tight grip on Leo's hand to pull her from danger. Some of the wargs caught up to them in an attempt to cut them off.

Bilbo had fallen slightly behind and was outrun by a warg that lunged itself at him. In a fast reaction, Bilbo held his little sword in front of him, causing the warg to impale its own skull - Bilbo had taken down the first warg. He stood frozen against a boulder at the event as Leo had ripped away from Fili to run to him. "It's dead Bilbo you're ok!" She gripped his hand before running with him back to the company.

"Wait!" Bilbo turned to run back to the dead warg. "My sword!"

"Bilbo are you crazy!!" Leo ran after him. 

The dwarves whacked down any warg in their path. The race and battle down the hill continued until the company found themselves trapped at a cliff sparsely lined with tall pine trees.

Leo looked to Bilbo with worried eyes. "If we can't go forward and we can't go back...we must go up."

Gandalf had the same idea. "Up into the trees. All of you! Come on, climb!"

Fili and Kili made their way into the tall tree to quickly realize that Leo was not with them. Fili scanned the trees and did not see her.

"She's still on the ground!" Kili pointed to her as she and Bilbo struggled to rip the sword out of the warg.

A warg jumped off the boulder right in front of Bilbo and Leo and lunged at them. Leo pulled her axe from her belt and swung it into the side of the warg's neck, causing blood to spew everywhere including Bilbo and Leo. She stared wide-eyed at her hands that now dripped with blood. She snapped herself out of her shocked state to retrieve her weapon and continued to help Bilbo with his.

"No no no," Fili began to climb back down the tree when Kili grabbed him.

"You can't!"

"I am NOT letting her go again!"

Bilbo and Leo managed to get the sword free in time to see the hoard of wargs gaining fast.

"Bilbo!" Bilbo turned to see Leo had hoisted herself into the tree behind them. She reached her hand out to him and lifted him up as well as the two frantically climbed as high as they could go.

Fili had seen her climb and sighed in relief while climbing back up to his brother.

All the dwarves had quickly scrambled up the trees. The wargs howled and grunted as they circled the bases of the trees while a few jumped in an attempt to grab the low-hanging dwarves. The dwarves kicked and yelled at the wargs while Gandalf whispered a message to a little moth that sat on a branch. The moth flew away as Gandalf turned his attention back to the trees of dwarves.