37 || Dragon sickness

Leo was cutting vegetables in the kitchen - or at least she was trying to

Leo was cutting vegetables in the kitchen - or at least she was trying to. Fili had managed to sneak away from the search-party in the treasury to be with her. While she sliced and chopped, Fili would either poke her, tug at her dress, or take pieces of carrot while she wasn't looking.

"Fili!" She growled in frustration when he pinched her sides.

He responded with a cheeky grin as he had no intention of stopping. "I can't help it, you just look so cute in that apron," he said with a low growl. Leo could feel her cheeks burn as she rolled her eyes. "You're not doing that right, by the way."

"Doing what right?"

"Cutting the carrots...well all of the vegetables, actually." She huffed annoyedly at his observation. "You know what, lemme show you."

Fili swiftly snatched the knife from her hand and stood behind her, wrapping his arms around her to reach the cutting board. Leo leaned her head back to look up at him, realizing just how much shorter than him she really was as she only reached his mid-chest. Noticing the green eyes staring up at him, he lowered his head and nuzzled his nose into hers, earning a smile as her frustration dissipated.

"Alright let me teach you a few things!" He shouted dramatically.

He cut the vegetables in a different way than Leo and his method seemed much more efficient than her own. She watched him effortlessly cut everything with surprising speed.

"How did you learn how to do that?" She asked while looking up at him again.

"My mother...she's a great cook."

Realization set into Leo that she had never asked Fili about his family, Thorin was the only one she ever associated with Fili and Kili's family.

"Tell me about her."

He smiled. "Well, her name is Dis. She was driven into exile like the rest of our kin when Smaug came to the mountain. The last time Kili and I saw her was before we came to the Shire. I miss her, a lot. But I know she's holding up just fine. She's very stubborn and strong - a lot like Thorin. Despite her hardheadedness, she is one of the most caring, sincere, resilient dwarves I've ever known. I attribute almost all of what Kili and I are to her and how she raised us. She taught us everything, like how to cut vegetables." He sent Leo a wink, her full attention on him. "She also has one of the greatest beards."

Leo grinned. "I always forget female dwarves have beards."

"Yeah...it would seem I deviated from the usual attractions of dwarves."

"I'm not hairy enough for you?" She pouted playfully.

"Your feet make up from the lack of hair on your pretty face." He used his booted foot to playfully step on her toes. "But, I know in due time she and the others will make their back here, and when that time comes I'll introduce the two of you."