20 || Beorn

The sounds of chirping birds, buzzing bees, and the smell of something heavenly woke Leo up from her deep slumber

The sounds of chirping birds, buzzing bees, and the smell of something heavenly woke Leo up from her deep slumber. It felt as if her nose lifted her out of bed as her stomach rumbled. The sound of chattering dwarves woke her a bit more. She looked on either side of her makeshift bed and realized that Fili was not with her - he must be with the others.

A buzzing sound caught Leo's attention when a large bee, around the size of Bilbo's ear, began to hover around Bilbo's nose - he was still asleep. She could not help but start to giggle as she watched the bee land on him causing him to swat at it and look around for any others. Bilbo heard the giggle not too far away and saw Leo sitting up on her hay pile with a smile. He let out a sigh of relief to see her smile.

Bilbo rose from his place and put his jacket on before shuffling over to her. "Good morning."

"Good morning, Bilbo."

"I'm glad to see you're much better. You nearly gave me a heart attack yesterday."

"I'm much better, yes. I'm sorry. I don't know why I think I'm so tough all the time."

"Maybe because most of the time you actually are." He lowered a hand to her as she gratefully accepted and rose to her feet. She grimaced a bit. "Still hurts?"

"Just a bit sore, I just need to walk around...and eat." She sniffed the air dramatically.

"Yes, as do I. Let's go."

Leo linked her arm with Bilbo's as they made their way through the hall of farm animals. Leo had to reach out and pat the nose of just about all of them. They walked into a dining area where all the dwarves sat around a large table and ate. When the company saw Leo, they all shouted a 'good morning' and 'how's your ankle' while she tried to answer all of them with words or a warm smile.

Bilbo made his way around the table to an empty seat while Leo gingerly walked towards Fili and Kili. A gigantic man stepped out from around the corner with a huge picture. He looked down at the hobbit and kneeled, recognizing her. He extended his hand to her allowing her to grip one of his fingers. "I remember you, little one. My apologies for scaring you last night." His eyes were very sincere and soft, despite his scary and tough exterior.

Bilbo perked up. "Last night? When did you see him?"

She ignored Bilbo for the moment and addressed Beorn. "No need to apologize, it was foolish of me to leave the house alone...or at all." He nodded and led her by her by the hand to Fili and Kili. Kili scooted out of the way a bit to give her room as Beorn held her steady so she could sit down. "Thank you."

Thorin, who sat in a separate chair close to Fili, leaned forward a bit. "You went outside? By yourself?" He spoke angrily.

Bilbo, Fili, and Kili shared a look of confusion at Thorin's sudden concern for the girl. Leo leaned around Fili to see him. "I did. I was not thinking. But Beorn did not harm but, he protected me despite my idiocracy."

"See that you do nothing like that again." Thorin crossed his arms and leaned back into his seat. Leo nodded and looked up at Fili who kissed her forehead. A few dwarves around the table 'aww'd' at the sight. Bilbo smiled. Kili grinned like a moron as he handed Leo a biscuit which she snatched and began to nearly swallow whole.

Beorn lifted his pitcher to pour milk into Fili's tankard as he took notice of Thorin. "So you are the one they call Oakenshield. Tell me, why is Azog the Defiler hunting you?"

"You know of Azog? How?"

"My people were the first to live in the mountains before the Orcs came down from the north. The Defiler killed most of my family, but some he enslaved. Not for work, you understand, but for sport. Caging skin-changers and torturing them seemed to amuse him."

"There are others like you?" Bilbo chimed in.

"Once there were many."

"And now?" Leo asked turning to him.

"Now there's only one. You need to reach the mountain before the last days of autumn."

"Before Durin's Day falls, yes," Gandalf spoke from across the room.

"You are running out of time."

"Which is why we must go through Mirkwood."

"A darkness lies upon that forest, fell things creep beneath those trees. There is an alliance between the Orcs of Moria and The Necromancer in Dol Guldur. I would not venture there, except in great need."

"We will take the Elven Road, their path is still safe."

Upon hearing the mention of elves, Thorin began to make his way away from the table.

"Safe? The Wood Elves of Mirkwood are not like their kin. They're less wise and more dangerous. But it matters not."

"What do you mean?" Thorin turned back around to speak.

"These lands are crawling with Orcs, their numbers are growing and you are on foot. It is but a miracle that one did not snatch your hobbit when she ventured out." Leo looked down in embarrassment. "You will never reach the forest alive. I don't like dwarves, they're greedy and blind, blind to the lives of those they deem lesser than their own." Dwalin pushed a small white mouse off of his arm, Beorn reached down and picked up the mouse. Beorn looked down at Thorin while stroking the mouse's head. "But Orcs I hate more. What do you need?"

o o o o o o o o o o o o

The company, with their supplies packed, loaded onto the horses Beorn loaned them. Leo stood next to Fili as he tightened the straps on their horse. She suddenly felt herself being lifted into the air and sat on the horse. She looked to see that it was Beorn. He glanced down to Fili who offered him a kind smile. "Protect her," Beorn ordered sternly.

Fili nodded. "With my life." Satisfied with his reply, Beorn walked to Gandalf.

Fili pulled himself onto the horse, sitting behind Leo and wrapping his arms around her, resting them on her legs. "Been a while since I got to do this, hm?" Leo blushed and smiled up at him.

Beorn stood by Gandalf on his horse. "Go now, while you have the light. Your hunters are not far behind."

Gandalf nodded. "One last note of gratitude: Thank you for protecting our hobbit. She is a smart girl but her adventurous nature does get the best of her I have come to realize."

Beorn smiled. "Of course. I have a heart for small creatures."

The company began to ride away from Beorn's home. Leo looked back to catch one last glimpse of the beautiful plain, waving to Beorn before he was out of sight.

o o o o o o o o o o o o