41 || Give their last

Bard ordered Bain to gather the women and children and rally them into the Great Hall while every able-bodied man - and Leo - fought the hoards

Leo and Fili fought side-by-side as orc after orc surrounded them. They eventually caught up to Bard and his men as they fought alongside them. Bard noticed the dwarf and looked at him confusedly until his mind quickly shifted to worry at the sight of Leo beside him.

"Leo! You need to get to the Great Hall! Bain has taken the women and children!"

After taking out a few orc ankles - her preferred method of attack - she turned to him and shook her head. "I'm not leaving! I can fight."

He stared at her with deep concern, he still saw the face of his wife whenever he looked at her...but she wasn't. "Leo I don't think - "

"Bard, I can fight."

Reluctantly, he nodded and turned his attention to a new oncoming hoard.

Leo grabbed Fili's coat to get his attention. "Fili, I have to find Bilbo."

"Ok, I'll cover you. Come on."

The two slashed and hacked their way through the city in search of Bilbo or the grey wizard. Making it to the gates of Dale, they saw Thranduil riding in on his stag. Fili pulled Leo out of sight. The stag suddenly lost its footing over an orc body and fell forward, sending Thranduil to tumble onto the ground in a circle of orcs. He drew his sword and fought as many of the orcs but there were still too many for one man, even if that man was a skilled elf.

Fili read Leo's thoughts but before he could protest, she threw herself into the circle with Thranduil and smashed some knees. Thranduil eyed the hobbit curiously, he was quite impressed with her ability to dodge and fight. Fili joined them shortly after along with the elven army.

Leo caught a glimpse of the valley outside of the gates in a moment that seemed to stand still. The land was covered in orc, elf, and dwarf bodies as fire, blood, and rubble made the ground unrecognizable.

"Leo!" Fili's voice snapped her out of her trance as an orc charged at her.

She lifted her axe in defense but the orc was quickly swept away in Thranduil's sword. After confirming his kill, Thranduil looked at the hobbit over his shoulder. 

"Thank you," she gave him the gentlest smile.

He did not respond nor return the gesture, but the hint of softness in his cold eyes was enough for her.

"Incoming!" An elven soldier cried as he aimed his bow at the gate.

A new hoard of orcs barreled through the gates as some of the remaining ones retaliated. The little army fought with everything in them as the orcs closed in, seemingly never-dying as more and more filed in. Leo began to feel weak as her axe's weight became heavier than before, her legs trembled, her vision blurred with the chaos of movement. She regained herself the best she could to help Fili, who fought tirelessly beside her. She worried if Bilbo was ok, if Sigrid and Tilda made it into the Great Hall alive, if Thorin would ever get off his greedy ass and fight.