47 || Axing tradition

Leo, Fili, Bilbo, Dwalin, and Bofur trudged back to their eagle with Leo's belongings

Leo, Fili, Bilbo, Dwalin, and Bofur trudged back to their eagle with Leo's belongings. Dwalin strapped everything on as Leo rounded the front of the eagle and smiled. The giant bird lowered its head and observed her.

"Hello there," Leo spoke softly as she reached out and rubbed its beak. The eagle let out a gentle squawk of approval.

"Alright lass that's everything!" Dwalin called to her.

Leo sighed and made her way to Bilbo. "I'll be back very soon."

He smiled. "I know. I'll be occupied here so don't worry about me." Even though he sounded jolly, Leo knew better.

She wrapped him in a hug and he chuckled. Leo looked back to see Dwalin and Bofur already on the eagle while Fili waited for her on the ground. She walked to him and allowed him to pick her up as she pulled herself up and gripped onto the thick feathers. Fili followed and sat behind her.

"To Erebor!" Bofur shouted dramatically as the eagle lifted its wings and began its ascent into the air.

Leo leaned over the edge of the wide wings and waved to her brother before they were off towards the mountain.

—————————

The journey only took a few hours and in that time Leo had leaned against Fili to sleep. She woke up when the eagle jolted as it lowered itself towards the ground. Leo rubbed her eyes and yawned before she noticed where they were. When the eagle planted its feet on the ground, a few men from Dale helped the dwarves unload Leo's things and put them into a wagon strapped to two horses. Leo noticed that they were right outside of Dale and what appeared to be the location for the eagles to dock - she assumed that the large horn beside them was to call the eagles if needed.

Her eyes gazed over the previously ruined city that had now been partially mended by the humans and dwarves now occupying the walls. Across from Dale sat hundreds of tents set up by the returned dwarves. She smiled as she watched little dwarf children playing and smiling along with their parents. They seemed happy.

"Psst!" Leo whipped her head to the side to see a grinning Fili standing on the ground with his arms up. "Wake up, love. We're home."

"Home..." she whispered to herself.

Leo scooted over the slick feathers until she eventually slid off and into Fili's arms. Dropping to her feet, Leo gazed at the grand mountain in the distance with a low fog hovering around it.

Glancing at Fili, she saw him leaning against the wagon with a small smile on his face. Leo tilted her head at him until she felt a tug on her skirt. She didn't need to look too far down until she came face to face with a little dwarf child. The little boy had wild blond hair and curious brown eyes.

Leo smiled at him as she lent down slightly. "Hello, what's your name?"

"Rork!" The boy shouted proudly in his high-pitched voice.