48 || Dis

Leo hummed as she unpacked her things

Leo hummed as she unpacked her things. She hung her clothes in the wardrobe, stacked her books on the bedside table, and lined some of her pictures of the shelves. Fili had been helping her until Balin called him away to work on some king stuff. She would have been upset, but she knew this was his duty and it was something she'd have to get used to.

Leo shoved her hands into her skirt pockets and glanced around the room, satisfied with the way it was coming together. She debated on if she should take a nap or explore a bit. Glancing out the large window by the bed, she noticed the sun quickly setting. Fili recommended she wait and explore when he was with her, afraid she'd get lost. Leo decided it was still too early to go to bed and a bit of walking might make her tired. Walking past the Wall of Durin, she stared at the cloths that covered the hidden etching.

"Don't ye even think about it, lass!"

She heard a playful scolding tone walking to her. Glancing over, she saw Dwalin with his arms crossed and a smirk.

"Well you whisk my fiance away from me and now I'm bored so what else am I suppose to do but stir up trouble?"

He scoffed. "Ah, I see. So now the rest of my life is going to be making sure you don't get into things you shouldn't?"

"Yes." She grinned.

"Well, alright." An idea suddenly popped into his head. "Say, lass. Have you seen the library yet?" She shook her head. "Well follow me then it's not too far. Might occupy ye for a bit."

Leo shuffled to him as the two made their way down the hall. Eventually, they reached dark wood and silver doors with a plaque of Khuzdul writing above it.

"What does that say, Dwalin?" She pointed up at the plaque.

"It says 'The Study.' We'll get you learning Khuzdul soon, lass. You'll be fluent!" Dwalin pushed open one of the large doors for her. "Go on then, enjoy yourself. The fireplace is lit so it'll be cozy."

"Thank you, Dwalin." She smiled and hesitantly walked in, Dwalin shut the door behind her.

Her eyes were drawn to the grand bookcase lining the left wall as something odd caught her attention: the books were arranged by color instead of by author or title. Leo smiled at the unusual organizing system as she approached the books. Most of them were written in Khuzdul while some were written in the common tongue.

"So odd..." she spoke quietly to herself at the rainbow of books.

"They're arranged that way because each color represents a genre...just a dwarven way."

Leo froze at the presence of another female voice in the room. She looked over her shoulder to see Dis sitting in an armchair in the corner, a blue book on her lap.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb your reading-"

"Nonsense." Dis smiled. "Did Dwalin bring you here?" Leo nodded. "Then you were meant to be here." Leo lifted her eyebrow curiously.