24 || The King of Mirkwood

An hour had passed since the company had been locked in their cells

An hour had passed since the company had been locked in their cells. Many of the dwarves shouted and rammed into the cell doors in an attempt to break them - to no avail. Thorin had yet to arrive at the holding area as he was taken a different way than the rest of the company.

To pass the time, Leo used her finger to trace, from memory, the map of middle earth in the dust on the floor. Her dirt-map eventually got to the Shire. She watched longingly as her fingers traced the little hills she missed dearly. Leo began to reminisce on her favorite Shire memories until she recalled her last night there. In her head, she could hear Thorin's low voice singing 'The Misty Mountains' by the fireplace. She fell in love with that song that night, which made her want to save the mountain that much more.

Leo found herself absentmindedly humming the song to herself while she continued to draw the road to Bree. She soon became aware of what she was doing but continued anyway as it comforted her. Bilbo would always fall asleep at the sound of Leo's careless humming while she managed tasks around the house. She soon finished the song as her finger continued to dance along the floor.

She noticed that the dwarves' bickering and shouting had stopped and the dungeon became extremely quiet...until.

"For Merlin's sake lass, are you trying to put us all to sleep!" Dwalin shouted from who knows where.

"I quite liked it..." Ori.

"Better than Thorin if you ask me. His voice is a bit scary." Bofur.

"I might cry." Kili.

"Would you all shut it! You know you all enjoyed it!" Fili.

Leo smiled. "Well, it quieted the room for a bit. You all were starting to give me a headache."

The lightheartedness of the dungeons vanished once Thorin's angry shouts echoed through the cells. He kicked and shoved at the elven guards struggling to hold him. Legolas and Tauriel followed behind them. Thorin was shoved harshly into his cell as his shouting ceased but his flaming glare continued.

One of the elf guards turned to Legolas before he left. "The king has requested the hobbit be brought to him." Legolas nodded and walked to Leo's cell. Upon hearing the word 'hobbit' she stood and made her way to the bars to listen closer.

Fili too heard the mention of the hobbit and watched Legolas intensely. Legolas opened the cell and grabbed Leo by the arm, dragging her out.

"Do not lay a hand on her, filthy elf!" Fili punched at the bars furiously.

Legolas pushed her ahead of him towards the stairs. She glanced back at Fili to see his hands gripped around the bars, his eyes glazed with anxiety, and his jaw clenched tightly.

"Leo no! Bring her back!" Fili shouted. All the dwarves followed his lead and shouted at the elf to not take her.

Leo looked back to Thorin, who was not shouting like the others, but instead offered her a sad expression as if he knew what was going to happen to her. He only nodded at her before she was pushed out of his sight.