31 || On the doorstep

The trip to the Mountain was a bit lengthy but Leo found it to be quite beautiful

The trip to the Mountain was a bit lengthy but Leo found it to be quite beautiful. The afternoon sun was bright yellow against the natural blue. A fog hovered over the water as Leo ran her hand through the water to disrupt it. Bilbo sat beside her and stared at the mountains looming before them. He looked at her when he heard a splash as she now patting the surface of the water in boredom. His eyes lingered on the silver bead in her hair as he gripped it between his fingers to examine it. Feeling the tug on her hair, Leo looked at him.

"Odd custom, but nice all the same...I think." Bilbo muttered as he continued to play with the bead.

"It is nice..." Leo nodded as her heart sank a bit. She did not realize how much time had spent beside Fili until he was not there for her to cuddle next to.

"You miss him?"

"Of course. I didn't really realize how much I have relied on him throughout this quest. How he managed to make me feel like I was safe. If I didn't have you I might just lose my mind."

Bilbo smiled. "It will be all the more special when you get to see him again, hm?"

"I don't know about 'when' I think it's more like 'if'..."

"Now since when did you become so pessimistic. That's my job!"

"I don't know. I'm worried I guess. We're actually almost there. Almost to the mountain we've risked our lives to get to for over a year...then what? There's a dragon in there!"

Bilbo pondered on her words and realization washed over his face as it had for his sister. "I hadn't really thought about that..."

"Kili looked so sick...I can't imagine how Fili is feeling. I know they're both heartbroken." Her head dropped in sadness. Bilbo put his arm around her and rested his head on hers.

"Hey...listen. I know this has not worked out ideally so far - though I don't know what an ideal situation would be in this case. But, they will see this mountain. And you and I and Thorin and this entire company of chaos are going to ensure that. I'm scared too. I'm worried. I'm worried about your safety, above my own. I'm afraid we're in over our heads...I mean how did two hobbits get into this!"

Leo chuckled. "Gandalf."

Bilbo scoffed. "Bloody old foolish - "

"Don't be cruel." She smiled as his little spurt of anger calmed.

"Right. Anyway. Changed my mind. I'm not afraid we're in over our heads. We ARE in over our heads. From the moment we left the comfort of our home we jumped into this without knowing what we were getting ourselves into. Somehow, we've survived. I've found courage I didn't know I had in me and you found love. So...not matter what comes next, good or bad, I say we've done pretty well." He squeezed her shoulder.

"Thank you, Bilbo." she smiled up at him.

He nodded. "We'll be ok. Somehow we'll make it through this."