18 || Just a little prophecy

Fili, Kili, Bilbo, and Thorin watched as Leo's firm grip on Fili began to loosen and her mouth opened slightly, she finally seemed peaceful

"Well, she sure has one hell of a pain tolerance." Kili joked to lighten the mood. They all smiled.

"She was always tougher than me," Bilbo chuckled to himself and looked at her, squeezing her hand lightly, "in every way. Pain, emotions, just about everything really. I remember once when we were younger, there was this enormous oak tree by the Brandybuck's farm. Our mother told us to never climb that tree, she said it was far too big for us and we could get seriously hurt. Leo took that as a challenge, of course." The dwarves smiled as Bilbo's eyes sparkled. "She decided one day that she was going to climb that tree and she was determined to make it to the top. I strongly advised her against it but I somehow found myself following after her...as I always did. I always thought that I followed her to protect her but really I think her courage fascinated me..."

o o o o o o o o o o o o

Bilbo sat beneath the giant oak tree while little Leo circled it to find the best way up.

"All of the branches are too high!" She huffed and stared into the tree.

Bilbo looked up from his book to his grumpy sister and smiled. "Well, perhaps it would be better if you just stayed on the ground then. The tree obviously wasn't made for hobbits to climb."

"I found one!"

"Well, maybe it was..."

Leo came into Bilbo's view when she leaped onto a branch just above Bilbo's head. She sat on the branch and let her legs dangle, looking down at Bilbo. "It feels quite nice up here."

"Maybe that's as far as you should go, Leona. Mother would not be happy with you climbing this tree, especially not any further than that."

Leo scoffed and craned her neck to look up. "It's not that high, Bilbo. I want to know how far I can see from the top."

Before Bilbo could protest, Leo hopped and scooted branch by branch as she made her way up the tree with ease. Bilbo shook his head and looked back down at his book. Despite staring at the words on the page, he could not comprehend any of them as he began to worry.

A while passed before Bilbo realized the rustling his sister made had ceased. He looked up and saw no movement. Bilbo laid his book on the ground and began to circle the tree, looking through every branch he could through the thick, orange leaves. "Leo!" He shouted. He got no reply. "Oh no, no. Do I go up...I must I...no..."

A rustling in the leaves shook him from his panic when he saw her hanging from a branch to move to another as she slowly made her way down. "Bilbo! You should have gone with me! I could see Bree! And the wind was colder it was kind of nice."

Bilbo smiled. "I'd love to hear more but tell me when you're firmly on the ground please."

"Ok!" She squeaked out.