17 || Neither friend nor foe

12 months after The Quest for Erebor

o o o o o o o o o o o

Bilbo and Leo peeked out from around a boulder holding onto the side of the peak. The hobbits watched with tired yet frightened eyes as Azog and his orcs scanned the area for any sign of the dwarves. Azog looked in their direction, causing them to quickly hunker down while their hearts skipped a beat. Azog and his army rode off to search another area.

"Do you think he'll come back here?" Leo asked as she peeked over the rock to make sure he was gone.

"Most likely." A deep grunt not too far away caused the hobbits to look at each other with concern. "An orc stayed behind?" Bilbo rocked his brain for the source.

"That didn't sound like an orc...more like a bear."

The hobbits slid across the boulder towards the sound, while still staying hunkered. Perched on a higher peak on all fours, stood a massive bear-like creature that huffed and grunted over his territory. Leo looked at Bilbo as he gave her an 'are you kidding me' look.

"What is that?" Leo inquired nervously.

"How am I supposed to know?!" Bilbo whisper-shouted.

She rolled her eyes and began to scurry off towards the company. She turned to see Bilbo still fixed on the creature. "Oi! Come on!" She whispered loud enough to catch Bilbo's attention.

The creature sniffed the air with a low growl, his scarred nose snarled at the previous presence of orcs and the scent of something still lingering. In vexation for the trespasses on his territory, the creature let out a thunderous roar.

Leo stopped mid-sprint and to stare back at the creature that now stood on its hind legs. It must have stood nearly ten feet tall. She was so in awe. Bilbo grabbed her wrist and began to pull her with him. "I know you love bears, but that one you can't hug!"

o o o o o o o o o o o o

The company heard the sounds of small footsteps rushing towards them as Thorin and Dwalin met the out-of-breath hobbits at the entrance of a narrow mountain pass. Leo hissed slightly and grimaced when they stopped running. Thorin noticed her expression but turned to Bilbo instead of questioning her.

"How close is the pack?" Thorin inquired with a firm grip on his sword.

"Too close, couple of leagues, no more. But that's not the worst of it."

"Have the Orcs picked up our scent?" Dwalin huffed.

"Not yet, but they will do," Bilbo said in irritation from the stubborn dwarves not listening to his second concern.

"Ay!" Leo shouted a bit to get the babbling dwarves attention. "We have another problem now."

"Did they see you? They saw you." Gandalf inquired.