Chapter 16

Maddie woke up the next morning. She stretched and yawned before getting out of bed. As she headed downstairs, she heard her father on the phone. She found him in the parlor.

"Hey." Maddie greeted him.

"Good morning, sweetheart." Stefan said, looking up at his daughter.

"Who were you on the phone with?" Maddie asked.

"Damon." Stefan answered. "Elena's with him."

"Are you ok?" Maddie asked.

"Yeah." Stefan said. "I just wish she'd let me explain." Maddie nodded. "Why don't we spend the day together." Stefan said.

"Really?" Maddie asked. "Yeah." Stefan said. "It's been awhile since the two of us have had some father daughter bonding time."

"Ok." Maddie said, smiling.

"How about I make your favorite breakfast." Stefan said.

"Sounds good." Maddie said. "I'm going to go get dressed."

"Alright." Stefan said. "I'll start making breakfast." Maddie sped up to her room. "There's no need to rush." Stefan called. "We have all day."

"Sorry." Maddie said from her room.

A few minutes later, Stefan and Maddie were both eating breakfast.

"There is one thing I have to do first and then we can do whatever you want." Stefan said.

"What is it?" Maddie asked. 

"Well, Elena is with Damon, but I don't know where they are." Stefan said. "So, I was going to ask Bonnie if she could do a locator spell on her."

"Oh ok." Maddie said.

"Is that ok?" Stefan asked.

"Yeah, that's fine." Maddie said. Stefan nodded.

Once they finished eating, Maddie helped her father clean up.

"Ready to go?" Stefan asked.

"Yep." Maddie said as she put her purse on her shoulder.

The two of them walked out of the house and headed to the high school. They saw Bonnie walking across the courtyard.

"Bonnie." Stefan called.

Bonnie turned around. "Stefan, hi." Bonnie greeted. "Hey Maddie."

"How are you doing with everything?" Maddie asked.

"I'm fine." Bonnie said. "Are you guys back in school?"

"No." Stefan said. "Actually, I need your help."

"Stefan, I know that Elena is ok with all this and I appreciate what you did to help me." Bonnie said. "But, I'm not really ready for it yet."

"I understand that." Stefan said. "But, I need your help."

"What exactly do you need my help with?" Bonnie asked.

"Elena is with Damon, but I don't know where they are." Stefan explained. "I have her necklace. I was wondering." He stopped in mid sentence. "I was hoping you would do a locator spell." He said. "Please."

"Ok." Bonnie said, sitting at a table. Stefan handed her the necklace.

Bonnie took it and closed her eyes. "Nothing's happening." She said after a few seconds. "Usually there's an image or something, but there isn't anything." She picked up a leaf and tried to make it float, but it didn't. "There's something wrong with me." Bonnie said. "I'm sorry, Stefan. I can't help you." She quickly stood up and walked away.