Chapter 12

A couple days later, Maddie got up earlier than she usually does. It was her father's birthday. She headed downstairs and went into the kitchen. She started making blueberry pancakes. That was her dad's favorite. She also made bacon and orange juice. She put everything on a tray and walked upstairs her father's bedroom. She knocked on the door. "Dad, can I come in?" Maddie asked.

"Sure." She heard her dad say.

Maddie walked into the room. "I made breakfast." She said.

"You didn't have to do that." Stefan said.

"I wanted to." Maddie said as she set the tray on the bed. She went over to her father. "Happy birthday, Daddy." Maddie said, hugging him.

"Thank you, princess." Stefan said, kissing her on the forehead.

"I made your favorite." Maddie said.

"It looks great, honey." Stefan said.

"Thank you." Maddie was about to sit on the bed, when she heard someone.

"Nice to see you too, Maddie." She heard a familiar voice say.

Maddie turned around to see Lexi. "Lexi!" Maddie said. She went over to Lexi and hugged her.

"Hey, baby Salvatore." Lexi said, hugging Maddie back. 

"What are you doing here?" Maddie asked.

"What, I can't visit my two best friends?" Lexi said.

"I missed you." Maddie said.

"I missed you too, Mads." Lexi said.

"Do you want me to make you some pancakes?" Maddie asked.

"No, I'm good." Lexi said. "You eat." Maddie sat on her father's bed and ate with him. "I don't know. If some freak shot at me with wooden bullets, I'd bail in under sixty." Lexi said. "And why is a news reporter hunting vampires?"

"I don't know who knows about us. That guy did. There could be others." Stefan said. "Hey, do me a favor while you're here, please be careful."

"Why stay?" Lexi asked. "I'm headed to New York for the weekend. Bon Jovi in the Garden. "Wanted dead or alive", it's our theme song. It'll be a blast."

"Do you think he would actually remember us?" Maddie asked.

"We can make him remember us. Come on! Let's go." Lexi said. "I mean, what's keeping you here?"

"I told you, her name is Elena." Stefan said.

"Let's hope she's better than the last girl you got all sprung over." Lexi said.

"You didn't even know Katherine." Stefan said.

"Cause if I did I'd kick her ass. Little bitch." Lexi said. "Speaking of, where's Damon?"

"Inflicting misery somewhere." Stefan replied. "Are you going to be okay here alone? Cause I got some things I gotta take care of."

"Where are you going?" Maddie asked.

"To see Elena." Stefan answered.

"Can you see how Jeremy's doing?" Maddie asked.

"You can go with me, if you want." Stefan said.

"Elena asked to stay away from Jeremy, so I'm going to try to stay away." Maddie nodded.

"It's not exactly like I can go anywhere." Lexi said. "And you and Damon are the only ones with these nifty little daylight rings. I have a mood ring from '75! Trade ya?"