Chapter 26

Two days went by. Maddie was in her room. She had spent most of the time in her room. She hadn't even seen her father since the night of the pageant. She had been avoiding him. She hadn't slept either. Maddie waited until Elena had left before going downstairs.

"Hey." Damon said, seeing her come into the parlor.

"Hi." Maddie said.

"Are you doing ok?" Damon asked. Instead of answering, Maddie burst into tears. "Hey. Hey. It's ok." Damon said. He pulled her over to the couch with him.

"This is all my fault." Maddie said through sobs.

"No it's not." Damon said.

"Dad is like this because I caused it the night he was kidnapped." Maddie continued.

"Shh. It's ok." Damon said, comforting his niece.

"Is Dad going to be ok?" Maddie asked.

"He will be fine." Damon said. "If he ever eats." Maddie had overheard her uncle and Elena saying that her father wasn't drinking blood.

"Everything is going to be ok." Damon assured her. Maddie nodded. "Why don't you take a nap." Damon suggested. "I know you haven't slept the last few days."

"I'm a vampire." Maddie said. "I don't need sleep."

"The last couple of weeks have been a lot on all of us. It's exhausting, mentally." Damon said. "You should get some rest."

Maddie nodded. She went back up to her room and took a nap.

When Maddie woke up, she went downstairs. She found a note from her uncle saying that he went on an errand with Alaric. Maddie looked at the basement door. She sighed and walked down there. She went to the cell that her father was in. When she looked into the cell, she saw him lying on the bed.

"Dad?" Maddie said.

Stefan turned his head to look at her for a moment, but then turned back to look at the ceiling.

"You should drink that." Maddie said, referring to the water bottle filled with blood, that was on the ground. Stefan didn't say anything. Tears started to form in Maddie's eyes. It crushed her to see him like this. She sped back upstairs. She left her own note for Damon and went go hunt.

While she hunted, Maddie thought about when her dad turned her into a vampire.

Flashback.

It was spring of 1880. Maddie had just turned 16 a few weeks ago. And the one thing she had asked for was something that something Stefan was having a difficult time giving her. It was the one thing that he feared she would ask him, one day. The one thing he swore to himself he would never do.

"Dad, can we please talk about this?" Maddie asked.

"We've already talked about it." Stefan said. "There's nothing more to discuss."

"But, Dad." Maddie whined. "It's not fair."

"I said no, Madeline." Stefan said.

"But, why not?" Maddie asked.

"Sweetheart, I don't want this life for you. I want more for you." Stefan explained. "I want you to have the chance to have children and grandchildren and grow old. You won't be able to to experience those things, if I change you."

"But, it's the only thing I asked for for my birthday." Maddie said. "Please, Daddy."

Stefan sighed. He loved his daughter very much, but he couldn't imagine condemning her to a life like this. But, he also couldn't ever say no to her. And it was what she wanted. "Alright." Stefan finally said. "I will turn you."