Chapter 20

By morning, Stefan and Maddie had searched all over Mystic Falls for Elena and couldn't find her. They decided to head back home. They found Damon in the study.

"Anna took Elena." Stefan said.

"Yeah, I got that from your 600 voice mails." Damon said, looking up from what he was reading.

"Madeline and I have searched everywhere." Stefan said. "What if your blood hasn't passed out of her system?"

"Well, then at least you know you'll see her again." Damon said. Madeline sighed and sped up to her room. "What's her problem."

"She's grounded." Stefan said.

"What did she do?" Damon asked.

"You know." Stefan started. "After we open the tomb and you get Katherine back, I think you should leave."

"But, we're having so much fun together." Damon said.

"Well, I think you're a bad influence on Madeline." Stefan said.

"How am I a bad influence on her?" Damon asked.

Madeline sped back downstairs, having heard the conversation. "Don't blame him for what I did." Maddie said. "He had nothing to do with it."

"What is going on?" Damon asked.

"I caught Madeline feeding on Tyler Lockwood yesterday while making out with him." Stefan explained.

Damon looked at Maddie. "I'm impressed." He said to her. "Ballsy move." Madeline smiled at her uncle's compliment.

"Damon!" Stefan said.

"Stefan!" Damon retorted. "Did she kill him?"

"No, but." Stefan started.

"Well then, what's the harm?" Damon said.

"Can we put this on hold for five minutes." Madeline said. "Just a minute ago, you were worried about Elena."

"Please, just tell me what you know." Stefan said. Damon didn't say anything. "It's Elena, Damon." Stefan said. "If you know something, tell me."

"I mean this sincerely." Damon said. "I hope Elena dies." He then walked out of the room. While Stefan called Elena, Maddie headed upstairs.

"Madeline, I'm going to go get Elena." Stefan said, after a few minutes. "Are you coming with me?"

"No." Maddie said. She heard him walk out of the house.

Once she knew that he was really gone, she headed out of the house and made her way towards the town. She saw Anna walking away from Jeremy. She walked away without another word to Tyler. She pulled Anna into an alley.

"Let go of me." Anna said.

"Who are you?" Madeline asked.

"You know who I am." Anna said.

"How do you know my brothers?" Maddie asked.

"I know they're not your brothers." Anna said.

Maddie realized something. "You lived in Mystic Falls in 1864." She said.

"Yes." Anna said. "And I know your Stefan's daughter." "

What are you trying to do?" Maddie asked.

"I'm trying to get the Gilbert journal." Anna said.

"What do you need the journal for?" Maddie asked.

"I want the tomb open just as much as your uncle does." Anna said.

"Why?" Maddie asked.

"My mother is in that tomb." Anna said. "I want to get her out."

"Stay away from Jeremy." Maddie said.

"I'm not going to hurt him." Anna said.

"I find that hard to believe considering the stunt you pulled with Elena." Maddie said.

"Why does it matter to you what I do with Jeremy?" Anna said.

"Because I care about him." Maddie said. "Stay away from Jeremy." She then sped off.

When she arrived at the boarding house, Damon and Stefan were there.

"Where were you?" Stefan asked.

"In town." Maddie said. "Is Elena ok?"

"Yeah, she's fine." Stefan said. "We're heading to the church ruins to open the tomb. You coming?"

"Yeah." Maddie said.