Chapter 40

Stefan stayed down in the cellar all night, waiting for Elijah to awaken.

There was a gasp and Stefan looked over to see Elijah stirring. He bolted up to a sitting position.

Stefan carefully helped him up. Elijah looked at him, grabbed him by the throat, pushed him against the wall. He was pretty weak, so Stefan was able to pull Elijah's hand off of his throat.

"Look." Stefan started. "I apologize for daggering you, but you were going to kill Elena."

"We had a deal and it was broken when I was daggered the first time." Elijah said.

"Well, I'm sorry." Stefan said. He grabbed some blood bags from the cooler and handed them to Elijah.

"Why did you undagger me?" Elijah asked.

"For Madeline." Stefan answered. "I really messed up with her and she cares about you, so I'm trying to make it up to her."

Elijah nodded.

"Her birthday was yesterday, so if you want to get her something you can." Stefan said. "But, you do anything to hurt my daughter, I will not hesitate to drive this dagger through your heart again.

"Understood." Elijah said. "Where is she?"

"Probably still sleeping." Stefan replied. "It's still pretty early. And no one knows that I did this. My brother would kill me if he knew I did this."

Elijah nodded.

"You're welcome to do whatever you like." Stefan said.

"Thank you." Elijah said. "I think I'll go and find a gift for Madeline."

"If you need more blood, there's a whole cooler over there." Stefan offered. "Help yourself."

"Thank you, again." Elijah said. "I'll help you sneak out of the house, so Damon doesn't see you."

A little bit later, Maddie woke up and got ready for the day.

"Good morning, pumpkin." Damon greeted her.

"Morning, Uncle Damon." Maddie returned the greeting. She grabbed a bowl and poured herself some cereal.

"Where's Dad?" She asked.

"Not sure." Damon replied. "What do you have planned for today?"

"I think I'm going to take a ride on my motorbike." Maddie answered.

"Sounds good." Damon said. "Have fun."

"Thanks." Maddie said. She finished eating and headed out to her motorbike.

She drove around Mystic Falls and small areas outside of it. She loved her motorbike. She spent most of the morning riding around.

Around lunchtime, Maddie went to the grill for lunch.

"Hey Maddie." Matt greeted. "What can I get you?"

"A club sandwich with a sprite, please." Maddie ordered.

"Coming right up." Matt said.

She got her food and ate it.

Afterwards, Maddie sat outside enjoying the nice weather.

"Madeline." She heard.

Maddie knew that voice. She looked to see Elijah and her eyes widened in shock.

"What! How?" Maddie said, hugging him.

"Your father undaggered me." Elijah explained.

"Why?" Maddie asked.

"He was trying to make up for how he had been treating you lately." Elijah said.

"Oh." Maddie said.

"I heard it was your birthday yesterday." Elijah said. "I got you something."

"You did?" Maddie asked.

Elijah handed her a small package. She opened it to find a journal.

"I love it." Maddie said. "Thank you!"

"You're welcome." Elijah said.

"Will you come back to the boarding house with me?" Maddie asked.

"Of course." Elijah said. "Mind if I drive your bike?"

"Go right ahead." Maddie said.

Elijah smiled.

When they got back to the boarding house, Maddie called for her father.

"Dad?" She called.

"Yes?" Stefan replied, walking into the hallway.

"Thank you so much." Maddie said, hugging him.

"You're welcome, baby girl." Stefan said. "Although, your uncle's not happy about it."

"He'll get over it." Maddie said.

Stefan chuckled and then looked at Elijah. "You're welcome to stay here, if you need a place to stay." He said.

"Thank you, but I actually purchased my own home here before you killed me." Elijah said.

Maddie smiled at Elijah and her father.