Chapter 37

AN: Hey guys. I know I haven't updated this story in a while, but here's a new update. Hopefully, there are people still following along with the story.

Maddie woke up the next morning. She climbed out of bed, grabbed a towel, and went into the bathroom to take a shower. She thought over everything that happened last night. Elijah being daggered. And then there was the fact that she had snapped at her father. Part of her thought he deserved it, but the other part of her felt bad that she had snapped at her father like that. She had never gotten so mad at him before.

When Maddie got out of the shower, she dried off and blow dried her hair. She then walked backed into her room to pick out an outfit. She decided on a grey short sleeved blouse, black leggings, black ankle boots, and a pink leather jacket.

Once Maddie finished getting ready, she headed downstairs

Once Maddie finished getting ready, she headed downstairs. Her father was in the kitchen when she walked in.

"Madeline." Stefan started.

"Don't." Maddie said.

"Can I please talk to you?" Stefan asked.

"I need to get to school." Maddie said, picking up her bag. She grabbed an apple as she headed out the door.

As Maddie arrived at the school, she saw Elena.

"Maddie." Elena said.

"I don't want to talk you, Elena." Maddie said, not stopping.

"I'm sorry that Stefan has been putting me before you." Elena called after her, knowing she could hear her. "It's not right."

Maddie ignored her and continued walking.

"Are you ok?" Jeremy asked.

"I'm fine, Jeremy." Maddie said.

"Maddie, wait." Jeremy said, stopping her. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing Jeremy." Maddie said.

The day went on like any other. At the end of the school day, Stefan stopped Maddie before she could head home. "Can I please talk to you?" He said.

"No." Maddie said.

"I want to apologize." Stefan said.

"Do you honestly think that I'm going to forgive you that easily?" Maddie asked.

"Madeline, please." Stefan said. "I know what I did was wrong, but let me apologize. Please."

Madeline sighed and nodded. They went somewhere quieter and with less people around.

"I'm sorry, Madeline. I know lately I've been more focused on Elena and haven't paid much attention to you. And it was wrong." Stefan started. "I was worried about you when you were kidnapped."

"And yet, you went straight for Elena." Maddie said.

"I knew Damon would make sure you were ok." Stefan said.

"Did you ever think that I wanted to be comforted by you since, oh I don't know, you're my father." Maddie said.

"I should have made sure you were ok first." Stefan said. "You're my daughter, Madeline, and I will always love you no matter what. I'm sorry I've been prioritizing Elena over you. And I'm sorry about Elijah."

"If you knew how I felt about him before you killed him, would you have gone through with it?" Maddie asked.

Stefan was quiet. He didn't really know what he would have done if he knew Madeline had feelings for Elijah before they killed him. "He's not really dead." Stefan said. "You just have to trust us."

"I don't know if I can forgive you so easily." Maddie said. "You really hurt me."

"I know. I don't expect you to forgive me at all." Stefan said. "But, I'm going to do better to put you first."

"I love you too, Dad, and I will forgive you." Maddie said. "I just need some time and space."

"I understand." Stefan said. "I'll see you back at the house." Maddie nodded.

Stefan walked off and Jeremy approached her. "Are you going to tell me what's going on?" He asked. Maddie couldn't hold in any longer and broke down crying. "Hey." Jeremy said, comforting her. "What's wrong?"

"Elijah's dead. My Dad's been spending more time with Elena than me." Maddie explained. "I said some really hurtful things to him last night. Things that I will eventually regret, but I can't forgive him right now."

"Hey. Hey. It's ok." Jeremy assured her. "It's going to be ok."

"Can I stay at your place tonight?" Maddie asked. "Please?"

"Yeah, of course." Jeremy said. "Come on." Maddie followed Jeremy.

"I'm sure Elena has some clothes you can borrow for the night." Jeremy said as they got to the Gilbert house. "I'll get you some."

"Thanks Jeremy." Maddie said. She texted Damon to let him know she was staying with Jeremy.