Chapter 7

Maddie woke up to hearing her father and uncle. She walked into her father's room just as she saw him throw a knife into her uncle's stomach.

"All right, I deserved that." Damon said as he pulled the knife out. "But I just wanted to let you know, they caught the culprit. The animal responsible for killing coach Tanner and all those people."

"What are you talking about?" Maddie asked. Both Stefan and Damon turned towards her, realizing she was in the room.

"It was a mountain lion. It attacked a hunter this morning." Damon explained. "It's all over the news. "Deadly beast captured. All's well in Mystic Falls.""

"Why would you cover your tracks?"Stefan asked. "I've decided to stay a while

." Damon said. "I'm just having way too much fun here with you and Elena."

"Can't touch her now." Stefan said.

"Well, the vervain keeps me out of her head. But, believe it or not, Stefan, some girls don't need my persuasion." Damon said. "Some girls just can't resist my good looks." He then stabs Stefan in the stomach and Stefan falls to the floor.

Maddie rushed over to her father. "Are you ok?" She asked, pulling the knife out.

Stefan nodded. Maddie helped him up. "I'll make you some breakfast." Stefan said.

Maddie nodded and went into her room to get dressed. When she finished, she headed downstairs to the kitchen. Stefan was in middle of make pancakes. Maddie started making some coffee. On the tv, Sheriff Forbes was talking about the mountain lion they caught. "What do you have planned for today?" Stefan asked.

"I don't know." Maddie said. "The Founder's party is tonight."

"I know." Stefan said.

"Maybe I'll go for a hunt." Maddie said.

"I don't want you hunting alone with this going on." Stefan said, pointing to the tv. "It's too dangerous right now."

"But.." Maddie started.

"Please." Stefan said. "I don't want or need something happening to you. I promise I'll take you hunting soon."

"Ok." Maddie said.

"Are you ok if I go out?" Stefan asked. "Or do you want me to have breakfast with you?"

"I don't care if you go out." Maddie said. "Where are you going?"

"To see Elena." Stefan said. Maddie nodded.

"Please don't go hunting while I'm gone." Stefan said. "If I find out that you do, you're grounded."

"I won't." Maddie said. Maddie had always been a good kid. She always obeyed her father and never wanted to get in trouble.

"Pancakes are ready." Stefan said as he put them on a plate.

"Thanks Dad." Maddie said as she poured herself a cup of coffee and got syrup out.

"Bye sweetheart." Stefan said, kissing Maddie on the top of the head. "I'll see you later."

"Bye Dad." Maddie said. Stefan walked out of the house and

Maddie started eating. As she ate, there was a knock on the door. Maddie got up and answered it. Jeremy was at the door. "Hey Jeremy." She greeted him.

"Hey Maddie." Jeremy said. "May I come in?"

"Yeah." Maddie said, letting Jeremy in. Jeremy walked into the house. "Are you hungry?" Maddie asked. "Stefan made breakfast before going over to your house."