Chapter 38

Maddie woke up the next morning. She was in Jeremy's room. He had insisted she could sleep in his room and he would sleep on the couch, despite Maddie's protests that she would be fine on the couch. Maddie stretched and yawned before getting out of bed. She made her way downstairs, making sure not to wake Jeremy.

But, Jeremy woke up as she came downstairs. "Hey." He greeted.

"Hey." Maddie said. "I didn't mean to wake you up."

"You didn't." Jeremy said. "Hungry? I can find us something to eat."

"Sure." Maddie said.

They headed into the kitchen to see Elena making breakfast. "Morning guys." She greeted them. "I'm making chocolate chip pancakes, if you guys want some."

"Thanks Elena." Jeremy said.

"Thanks." Maddie said.

"Maddie, I'm really sorry about how Stefan has treated you lately." Elena said.

"I don't want to hear it, Elena." Maddie said.

"At least let me make it up to you." Elena said. "Bonnie, Caroline, and I are having a girls night tonight. Please, join us."

"I'll think about it." Maddie said.

"You can also borrow some of my clothes for today." Elena added.

"Thank you." Maddie said.

Once they all finished eating, they got ready and headed to school. During school, Stefan tried talking to Maddie, but she just ignored him.

After school, Maddie went to the boarding house. She headed towards the basement, where she knew her uncle and father were keeping Elijah. She saw him unconscious and daggered. She knew that the only way he was dead was the dagger and if she pulled it out, he would be alive again.

"Don't do it, Maddie." Someone said. Maddie jumped at the noise and turned to see her uncle.

"But, uncle Damon!" Maddie whined.

"I'm warning you, Maddie. Don't undagger him." Damon said. "I will stop you. Just go back upstairs."

Maddie sighed and started to head upstairs.

"Oh." Damon said, stopping her. "Be cautious around town. Katherine's out of the tomb."

"How is she out of the tomb." Maddie asked. 

"Elijah's compulsion wore off when we daggered him." Damon explained.

"Just another reason to undagger him." Maddie said.

"Madeline." Damon warned.

Maddie sighed again, walking upstairs and heading back to the Gilbert house. She called Elena on the way.

"Hey Maddie." Elena answered. "What's up?"

"Is it still okay for me to join your girls night?" Maddie asked.

"Yeah. Come on over." Elena said. The two hung up. When Maddie got to the house, she rang the doorbell. "Hey Maddie." Elena greeted, when she answered the door. "Change of plans. We're going to the Grill."

Maddie just shrugged and followed the girls. It was Elena, Bonnie, Caroline, and Jenna.

After a few minutes, they arrived at the Grill. "I need a drink." Jenna said.

"So do I." Maddie mumbled under her breath, so Jenna wouldn't hear. She went over to the bar. "Scotch, please." She said.

"Can I see some I.D.?" The bartender asked.