Chapter 25

A few days went by. It was Friday morning. Maddie woke up and got ready for school. She changed into a white tank and black pants with a cheetah print scarf and black shoes. She topped the outfit with a tan jacket.

Once she finished getting ready, Maddie made her way downstairs

Once she finished getting ready, Maddie made her way downstairs. She saw her father with his book bag.

"You're going to school today?" Maddie asked.

"Yes." Stefan replied. "I figured it was time to get back to normal schedule."

"Are you ok?" Maddie asked.

"I'm fine, sweetheart." Stefan answered. "You don't have to worry about me."

"I'm glad to hear it." Maddie said. "Ready to go?"

"Yep. Let's go." Stefan said.

Maddie picked up her bag and followed her father outside. Stefan went into the garage and came back out in his car.

"We're taking your car?" Maddie asked.

"Yeah. Why not." Stefan said. Maddie hopped into the car and they headed to the school.

When they arrived, they saw Elena waiting. Both Salvatore's climbed out of the car.

"Hi." Stefan greeted, kissing her.

"Hi there." Elena said, returning the kiss. "Good morning, Maddie."

"Morning Elena." Maddie said.

"Nice car." Elena said to Stefan.

"I figured it was a waste to leave it in the garage." Stefan said. The two talked for a little bit.

"We're going to be late." Elena said.

"I'll catch up with you guys." Stefan said. "I'm going to grab my bag."

"Alright." Elena and Maddie said.

Elena walked away, but Maddie stayed behind. When she turned to her father, she saw him lingering in front of the trunk. "Dad." She said low enough that no one else would hear.

"Yep. I'm coming." Stefan said, shutting the trunk and walking over to his daughter.

"Are you sure you're ok?" Maddie asked, concerned.

"Yes." Stefan said. Maddie wasn't convinced, but she nodded anyway. "Get to class." Stefan said. "I'll see you later."

"See ya Dad." Maddie said.

"Bye sweetheart." Stefan said, kissing her on the side of the head. They headed to their separate classes.

Later that afternoon, Maddie was back at the boarding house. She noticed the basement door was open. As she walked downstairs, she heard her father and uncle talking. When she found them, Stefan was in front of an open cooler with a ton of blood bags, probably stolen. Maddie realized her father had lied to her.

"Madeline." Stefan started.

"Don't." Maddie cut him off. "Don't try to explain." She then sped upstairs. They heard a door slam as Maddie went up to the roof. She stayed up there all night.

The next day was the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant. Maddie wasn't in the mood to go, but she had to and Damon was forcing her to go. She reluctantly took a shower, blow-dried her hair, and then changed into the dress she laid out.

Once she finished getting ready, Maddie made her way downstairs to her father and uncle waiting. Maddie couldn't even look at her father. "Let's go." She said, walking out of the house. Stefan and Damon followed behind.

They made their way to the Lockwood mansion. Maddie kept to herself. Her dad was with the other escorts and her uncle was off doing who knows what. She gathered with everyone else as the pageant began. She watched all of the girls come outside. But when Elena came out, she was with Damon instead of Stefan. Maddie looked around, but he was nowhere to be found. Damon made eye contact with Maddie.

"Where is he?" She whispered.

"I don't know, but stay calm. Don't make a scene." Damon warned. Maddie nodded.

"Who are you talking to?" She heard Elena ask.

"Madeline." Damon answered. "She's worried about Stefan." Elena nodded.

Once the dance ended, Damon went over to Maddie and pulled her to the side.

"Where is he?" Maddie repeated, panicking.

"Relax." Damon assured her. "I'll find him."

"I'm going with you." Maddie said.

"No. You're not." Damon said.

"He's my father." Maddie argued.

"And he's not himself right now. Do you think he would be able to live himself if he hurt you?" Damon said. "It's safer for you to stay here." Madeline was going to argue further, but Damon continued. "Please." Damon said.

"Fine." Maddie said.

"Thank you." Damon said. He walked away.

Throughout the day, Maddie continued to watch the pageant. It got to be dark and Maddie hadn't heard anything from her uncle. She saw him with Elena and went over to them.

"Did you find him?" Maddie asked.

"There was a sign of a struggle in the upstairs bathroom." Damon explained. "There was blood and that Amber girl is missing."

"He wouldn't hurt her." Elena said. "He won't."

"Let's just go find him." Damon said.

They went to go find him. Maddie noticed that Bonnie had followed. They heard some noise up ahead and followed it. It was Stefan and Amber. He was feeding on her. Elena was trying to get Stefan's attention and Damon was trying to stop him.

Maddie only watched in horror. She ran off, back to the boarding house. Once there, she sat against a wall and started to cry.

After a little bit, she heard voices. She sped off just as Damon and Elena walked into the house. It wasn't long after that Stefan came home.

After they got everything situated with Stefan, Damon went to go check on Maddie after she ran off earlier that night. He saw that she wasn't in her room and guessed she was on the roof. He decided to give her some space.