Chapter 21

Suddenly I was upside down as someone throws me over their shoulder. A scream lodged in my throat as panic starts to take over every inch of my body, freezing me on the spot. Memories tried to surface as a sense of deja vu crept in. Why did this seem so familiar?

I blink, snapping out of my thoughts as reality comes crashing back down onto me. I start struggling, trying to break free of the person's grip, panic seizing my ability to scream for help.

The person holding me, grunts as I kick my knee into their abdomen, causing them to buckle and release me. I back up immediately, ready to fight whoever it was in front of me.

"Son of a bitch," Daxon cursed, rubbing his stomach with a pained look. He looked up at me, expression turning to concerned. "What's wrong, love?"

I didn't realize how long I had held my breath until air finally made its way back into me. "I-I." I stuttered, still reeling from that deja vu moment. It felt too real, too familiar.

Warm arms engulfed my trembling body. "Damn it, Dax. You scared the hell out of her," Caspian's soothing voice spoke from behind me.

I closed my eyes, basking in his warm embrace.

"I'm sorry, Maevie. I thought you would realize it's me," Daxon said, inching closer as if he were afraid I would run away.

My body finally relaxed. "It's fine. Just a little heads up next time?"

A small smile tugged at his mouth before he nodded. I blew out a breath of air, looking around and noticing we were around the side of the library. "What are we doing here?"

"Apparently breaking and entering," Harley said, walking lazily up to us as if he had no better place to be.

I raised a brow as I turned back to Dax and Cas. "And why are we doing that? We already looked through those books and couldn't translate anything. It's useless."

Daxon grinned widely. "That's why we're exploring the tunnels."

Unease settles in my gut. "I don't think that's such a good idea."

"That's why we have backup." Daxon threw his hands in the air as if to show that our foursome resembled that of the Avengers.

I shook my head, looking at Harley, noticing that my bite marks were gone from his neck. Why did that irritate me so much? I looked back at Caspian and Daxon before sighing. "Fine. Let's go," I said, walking towards the entrance we used last time.

"Uh, we actually have one more coming," Caspian said shyly, making me arch a brow in question.

My questions were soon answered as a dark figure headed towards us. I already knew who it was without needing any form of light as an answer.

My eyes narrow as Colt stopped, a good foot away from the rest of us. "Why the fuck is he here?" I asked, or more like demanded, in a slightly harsh tone. I was still pissed off at the comment he made earlier in the library. I thought that after everything, we were at least considered friends. But it seems that he's made it perfectly clear that we weren't.

Colt clenched his jaw, ignoring me. "Can we hurry this up? I've got things to do."

Harley snorted. "And what exactly do you have to do this late?"

"Besides scouring the campuses' mouse traps?" Daxon added with a wink at me and a high five at Harley who swatted the gesture away.

Colt glared and then shrugged. "I have someone waiting for me in my dorm. I don't like to leave them alone in there for too long."

I felt a slice of pain in my chest. "Well, don't let us keep you from them," I said, turning around and continuing my way to the back entrance.

"You are seriously so fucking stupid," Daxon muttered to Colt, earning him a slap to the back of the head.