Chapter 45

Colt's POV

My chest pinched uncomfortably, making me scrunch my face up in confusion.

"Am I having a mild heart attack or are you guys feeling that too?" Daxon said from across the table while he rubbed his chest.

I went to ignore him until Harley stumbled into our row of the library. "Did you guys feel that too?"

I rolled my eyes, although that nagging feeling wouldn't go away. "It's probably just the tacos from lunch today," I mumbled, although I wasn't too sure.

Caspian rounded the corner, looking frantic. "Has Maeve got back?"

Unease spread like a wildfire at his words. "Not yet."

Caspian scrambled to get the books we picked out during our research hunt into his backpack while the rest of us stared in confusion. He looked at our still movements before yelling. "She's in trouble! Do none of you seriously feel that?"

Realization dawned on us as Daxon got up, abandoning his own books and running out of the aisle. It didn't take long before the rest of us followed. She can take care of herself, I tell myself. She's strong.

But she shouldn't have to be.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that the uncomfortable feeling taking over my chest was the mate bond. And although we haven't consummated that mating bond, I can feel her nonetheless. And if I feel even a fraction of the pain that she is, then that must mean she was in a load of it.

"Fuck this," Harley muttered before he took off in the sky.

"Run faster," I gritted out as I kept up with Daxon.

Caspian shifted into his lion form and tore across the campus at a neck-breaking speed. I cursed myself for not being a fast-paced shifter. I have never once felt so useless with the powers that I had.

The academic building was quickly approaching as we raced into the double doors, heading down the hallway.

"Where the fuck is she!" Caspian growled as we finally got to Collins' classroom.

I stared wide-eyed as Caspian held Dr. Collins' body in the air with hands made of claws. Harley stood next to him with crossed arms and an intimidating glare.

"Wha-Who?" Dr. Collins yelled, placing his hand against Caspian's arm.

Caspian groaned in pain as he dropped Collins and cradled his arm as if he were burned.

"What the hell was that?" Daxon stormed over, inspecting Caspian's arm himself.

Harley leaned down, clutching Collins' wrist and roaring back with a shake of his hand. "It's the bracelet on his wrist."

I walked over, satisfied to see the fear cloud Collins' face. "You better tell me what that bracelet is or so help me, I won't hesitate to kill you."

Collins gulped before stuttering out, "They put it on me to-to block out my magic. I tried to warn her the best that I could but the bracelet won't let me-"

"Tried to warn who?" Caspian snarled as he pushed me out of the way.

Collins' eyes widened. "Ms. Maxwell. She was just here." He looked around the room before shaking his head and mumbling. "It's too late, he already has her."

"Who?" I snapped as my fangs lengthened, no doubt dripping with venom as Collins tried to lean further away.

"Dem-" He hissed in pain as he cradled his wrist to his chest. "I'm sorry, the bracelet prevents me from speaking his name."