Chapter 3

I awoke to an alarm clock going off across the room. I groaned, stretching my arms out before opening my eyes and stifling a scream.

"Well, good morning beautiful. I don't think we properly got to meet. I'm Daxon, your bunk buddy," The muscled chest of a giant said as he gazed down at me with emerald green eyes.

"Umm. Hey, I'm Maeve," I said in a husky voice as I sat up in my bed, letting the covers pool around my waist. I was sleeping in only a tank top and boy shorts as my silver hair cascaded in waves down my back.

Daxon ran his hands through his red hair, giving it that bed head look, which I guess in this case, it probably was. "Nice to meet you, Maevie. However, I feel like I should be the one to tell you that classes are in half an hour, so you should probably get up."

My eyes widened before I flew myself off of the bed and grabbed my toiletries before racing out of the room. No seriously. You know, vampire speed.

I quickly took a shower, doing the full routine that I normally save for a night out with the girls. Which basically means a one-night stand. There was no way that I was going around this fancy-ass school looking like a troll. Wait, is that offensive? Are there trolls here?

I wrapped a towel around me and raced back to the room, effectively bypassing any wandering eyes as I shut the door behind me. I didn't even bother looking around the room as I dropped my towel, pulling on the uniform.

"Not that I'd turn down a strip show, but I feel like I should not be looking right now," Daxon said, leaning against the window sill, holding a joint in his hand.

I smirked, looking longingly at the joint like we were lovers in a past life. "Well, if I cared about you looking, you would be six feet under right now," I said, pulling on the white button-up shirt before tucking it into the red matching skirt. I lastly pulled up the thigh-high stockings and placed my feet in the taller pair of heels. What? If I'm going to wear heels, then I'm going to pick the most dramatic ones.

I looked myself over in the floor-length mirror, admiring the red color of the outfit. I looked at the length of the skirt and frowned before rolling it a few times at the waist. I smiled, admiring the way it accentuated all the best parts of my body.

I turned around, noticing Daxon was looking at me from head to toe. He noticed where my gaze was before leveling his own at his joint. I watched mesmerized as he put the tip of his finger at the end of the joint and lit it. Like, a literal flame came out of his finger.

"That's hot," I breathed, looking at the sight of him draped across the windowsill. His red uniform oddly complimented his hair, not to mention hugged his broad muscles.

Thankfully he didn't hear my heated comment as he took a hit from the joint and beckoned me over with his eyebrows. "Trust me, you need it. Professor Matthews is a tough bastard."

I shrugged because either way, I didn't need an excuse. I put the joint between my lips as I inhaled. My eyes lit up at the taste. "Holy fuck! What is that?"

He grinned, showing off pearly white teeth and a smile that promised dirty things as he spoke, "It's weed-infused in a relaxation potion. Best of the best here at Nightwood." He looked over at the clock on the wall. "Shit, we better go, Maevie."

"Maeve," I said in a slow tone as if he didn't quite understand.

"Nah, I like Maevie better. It's cute."

I blinked my eyes not knowing what to say to that. Never once has the word cute been associated with me. I was the kind of girl that electrocuted people for even looking at me the wrong way. But I guess that's why I was here.