Chapter 8

We made our way to the same clearing from the night before, silently slipping closer than I had dared to venture before.

"Holy shit. I mean, I didn't doubt you for a second, Maevie...but this is insane," Daxon said, gazing at the figures who were currently chanting some foreign language that I've never heard of.

Colt continued ignoring Daxon as he stood slightly in front of me as if blocking me from harm's way. Or he just wasn't aware of personal space and decided to be a prick 24/7.

Soon enough, the hooded figures brought out someone who was in a similar position that William had been in the night before. I held my breath, afraid of who I'd see. From what I could tell by the person's build, it was definitely a girl.

"Who do we think it is? Any guesses?" Colt said in a bored tone, looking blankly at the scene before us. Why did I find this man attractive again?

"Are you serious, right now?" I asked him incredulously. He just gave me a small shrug and a quick side glance.

"Can you two shut the hell up," Daxon whispered, leaning in as if we were just watching a criminal investigation tv show.

Whatever ritual was occurring tonight was a long one. I know it's probably bad to say considering what the outcome would lead to tonight, but I was practically snoring by the time something actually happened.

"Tonight, our next member was chosen to give her life to the cause. A virginal sacrifice is needed to which she accepted the call," a voice said. I strained my ears, trying to pinpoint if I recognized it from anywhere. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion because the more the figure spoke, the more their voice changed. There was no specific gender or age to the voice. They were disguising it with magic.

"Tonight, Josephine Whitlock was chosen by a devoted member. And to that, we are grateful for her life." I watched wide-eyed as another figure pulled the sack off of Josephine's head. Tears streamed down her face as she screamed against the material pushed into her mouth.

I felt like someone was sticking needles along my skin and into my heart. I mean, yeah, I didn't like her...but I didn't want this. I was just pushing her the same way that she pushed me.

I didn't realize that I was moving forward until Colt wrapped a cold hand around my waist, holding me to him. "Don't, angel."

I felt myself shaking as I watched the figure come up and slice a blade straight across Josephine's throat. The sound she made as she choked on her own blood was something that I will never forget. Unlike the quick deaths that are shown in movies, it was as if she was bleeding out for hours. She fell to the ground, her body going completely limp.

"Now, with your devotion to the cause, we gift you something greater than life could ever offer you. Rise," The leader of the group said, raising their arms in the air.

All three of us held our breath as we waited for Josephine to wake up...except she didn't. Voices murmured as the figures looked around, their hoods blocking any expressions on their faces.

"She wasn't a virgin," Colt said, breaking the staring contest I was having with Josephine's corpse.

"What?" I whipped my head around to look at him.

Daxon nodded his head, his eyes looking pained. "Yeah, she lost her virginity to Andrew Pritchett at last year's school dance.

"So, why would they assume she's a virgin?" I asked as we quickly made our way the fuck out of the woods. I didn't want to wait and see what the figures would do now that they realized Josephine wasn't a virgin.