Chapter 49

Daxon's POV

"I gotta piss," I whisper as we continue down the never-ending tunnel.

They ignore me.

"Whose idea was it to go down the right-wing?"

Colt sent me a glare and Olivia rolled her eyes. The latter spoke. "Everyone always chooses the right pathway."

"Maybe that's our problem," I muttered as I walked impatiently, the five of us stopping at every fraction of a noise.

"Maybe we should turn around and head the other way," Colt grunted, stopping in the middle of a small opening.

He was right. If we went further into this tunnel system, we might never find her down here. I sigh. "Okay, let's just-"

"Shh," Harley said, tilting his head. "Do you hear that?"

I strained my hearing, but all I heard was Caspian breathing, anxiety written across his features. My poor good-hearted best friend. Not having Maeve by our sides is ripping him apart.

I shake my head. "I don't hear shit. Who knows how long it'll take for-"

Olivia puts her palm over my mouth. "I hear it too."

I furrow my brows. Am I deaf or something? But then I stop still. I hear it.

"It's getting closer," Colt hisses as he turns to us. Now, in serious mate mode.

I chuckle at the image.

Colt cuts a glare at me but continues. "We need to catch whatever comes out of there, be prepared-"

Colt gets knocked to the ground as well as another small creature which he immediately pins with a growl, loud enough to shake the walls of the tunnel.

"Quit your growling macho man bullshit," Maeve yelled from under him.

Colt's features relaxed as he sighed. "Angel-"

Maeve pushed at Colt's unmovable body. "As much as I would love a reunion, we need to run!"

"Why would we run?" He asks before looking up at the sound of rapidly approaching footsteps.

"What the fuck is that?" Olivia yells as she stares at the mud-covered creatures running our way.

"I'm calling them dirt devils, now come on," Maeve said as she shoved Colt off of her and started running the way that we just came.

It took me one second, two, three-

We followed Maeve's fast pace as we hightailed it out of here. I caught up to her with a broad smile. "Maevie, long time no see, love."

She looked at me and damn, my heart stopped. She looked rough, which was concerning because she always looked hot as fuck. But the smile she sent me was beautiful. "Hey, Dax."

She looked back at the others with a small smile before glancing at the creatures who were still on our tail. "Anyone have any magic? Mine is still locked up."

I growled at her words, and what they meant. I would kill the bastard behind all of this. I looked behind me and yelled, "incoming!"

The others ducked out of the way as I sent fireballs at the things behind us. I laughed as the flames took one down, mud leaking over the tunnel floors. My laugh cut off as I watched the creature form back together and catch back up with the others in no time.

"Fuck," I cursed before looking at the others. "Anyone else wanna go?"

Caspian's eyes tracked over the tunnel as we ran, and right as we turned another corner, he brought down part of the wall, cutting off most of the pathway, and slowing down the creatures in the process.