Chapter 50

Caspian stared at me for a long moment and blinked. "What?" 

I couldn't read his tone so I repeated, "Your sister is alive."

He remained still, not quite processing my words. "She's dead, Maeve."

I shook my head as a tear fell, trekking down my cheek. "She's alive, Cas. I saw her myself."

Caspian let out a slow breath before dropping his hands from my face, making me immediately miss his warm caress. I watched as he rubbed his chest, his lion making a small pitiful noise. He dropped down onto his bed, placing his head into his hands.

Tears were freely falling down my face now. My heart ripping in two at Caspian's expense. I felt sorrow like I never had before. All for my mate. I could handle pain, I could take it all on my shoulders with a smile. But it fucking killed me to see one of my mates in pain.

My feet moved on their own, carrying me to Caspian's side. I stood, watching as the first sob racked his wide frame. A sound so quiet, yet so loud to my ears, completely destroying me.

I wrapped my arms around Caspian's shoulders, giving him the only thing I could offer right now. Love. The word scared me too much to even think about. But it was the only thing that sounded close to what I felt for him. For them.

A warm hand moved my arms from around Caspian, and I looked up into green eyes. Daxon rubbed Caspian's back and whispered too low for me to hear in his ear. Caspian looked up at his words and allowed the brief kiss Daxon gave him before pulling away.

A dark shadow fell over me, and I knew it was Harley. Only he could block out so much light with those wide-span wings of his. I watched curiously, my heart melting as Harley brought Caspian's forehead to his in a silent gesture of comfort.

I knew accepting the bond was hard for Harley, and I never expected him to accept the guys. But seeing the bond between each of them grow more and more each day, I felt whole for once in my life.

Caspian exhaled a ragged breath and looked at Harley with grateful eyes. It was then that I knew that the mating bond didn't just run from me to them, but from them to each other as well. Although they might not have wanted this in the first place, they knew we were family, and that family sticks together.

My eyes meet Colt who was standing motionless, taking in the scene before him. If it wasn't for my ability to decipher his emotions on some small scale, I wouldn't have caught the one currently taking up rent in his black pupils.

Colt was vulnerable, that much I could tell. His eyes held a certain sense of uncertainty, almost as if he were an intruder, invading a happy couple's sense of security. His eyes met mine and I gave him a small nod of encouragement, or what I hoped looked like that.

Colt's steps were slow, unsure, as he walked closer, stopping right in front of us. I held my breath as he reached out a hand, placing it on Caspian's shoulder before he pulled him in for a hug.

And there goes my heart, beating out of my chest and running for the hills.

Caspian clutched Colt like he was a lifeline, and another tear fell down my cheek. I glanced at Daxon to see him smiling softly at Caspian and Colt, and I knew that he felt the same. Even Harley took the affectionate display in with a twist of his lips.

Colt leaned back, putting Caspian at arm's length as he looked into his eyes with a burning intensity. "We'll get her back."

Caspian swallowed before looking at me with lost eyes. I nodded my head and leaned in for a kiss. "We will, Cas."

Tension began leaking from his shoulders as he looked at Harley who nodded his head hard. "She's my family now too."

Caspian eyes were misty with tears at his words, and I knew he felt it too. We were a family now, and that means Caspian's sister wouldn't be pushed aside. We needed to save her, but first, we would need a solid plan.