39.

Song: Don't leave - Snakehips & MØ

........................................

Nate

I parked Letty on the first free spot I found, killing the engine and feeling that bubble of anticipation getting larger in my chest.

Okay, calm the fuck down.

I thought to myself, reaching over to the bag at the passenger seat's feet, taking out the thick jersey stuffed in there and replaced my current one with it, and over it my coat. I swiftly brushed my hair carelessly using the rearview mirror before hopping out my baby and locking her behind me. The freezing air got me immediately shuddering as I zipped the coat and stuck my hands in the pockets, trying to keep with me as much warmth as I could.

Ever since Christmas temperatures had decreased harshly and yesterday it had snowed massively, so now the whole town was all white, so beautiful and stuff but cold as hell... and I consumed most of Letty precarious heater last night, so if I couldn't fix it before tonight it would be one hell of a night. Yet this morning I looked around and the pieces I would be needed were far too expensive. I'd barely could afford a lame dinner on my own and Seth's invitation to lunch to on top of that added the reparation.

I let out a sigh, reaching one of the benches bordering the entrance of the fair and sitting there.

I'll have to beg someone to let me stay over. I'd been delaying it so far. I hated it. I didn't want to rely on peoples' pity, but what other option did I have now? Sleeping in Letty wasn't exactly available anymore. And how long could I stretch this little getaway? I was only delaying the inevitable... I knew it. But I knew as well that at the moment I stepped back in that flat Harold wouldn't be happy. At least I was hoping his anger erased partialy with the passing days.

Mom had called me a few times since that, but I adverted them all to the voicemail. I couldn't hear her voice. If she begged me to come back I would in an instant and, as I'd said, I better wait a bit longer before that.

If I stay away too much time they would go to the cops once more, tho. Honestly, I couldn't wait 'till I officially became an adult and they could no longer make me return. But until then...

Avoiding home in early January wasn't as easy as in the summer. For starters and as I mentioned, there was the weather thing. But also spending time for free was harder. Things on the outside were damn uncomfortable, but on the insides -bars, locals, etc- you have to consume.

And on top of that, everyone was with Christmas and family events. Seth, Kimmy, the rest of the team... everyone was busy, I couldn't just go and attached to them and interfere in all those traditions. It didn't work like that. I was lucky enough they occupied half of my time... but the other?