16.

Song: Break the spell - Daughtry

........................................

Nate

What am I doing? What the fuck am I doing?

It kept repeating in my head as I slowly pulled Letty to a stop next to Kimberly's house. On the driver seat, Hailey's jaw dropped at the sight of the three-story mansion, Victorian stile with more garden than house. "Oh my God."

"Obnoxious, right?" Kimmy grimaced following her gaze from the backseat. Her lips tightly pressed.

It was, I believe, the fist honest comment she'd said through the whole ride here. She didn't take well Hailey coming with... she didn't take well giving up the passenger seat. But her stop was earlier so it would have been stupid having her changing seats once we drop the princess home.

But she'd made sure to show off how much this new disposition upset her. Another one of her tantrums, no big deal. What worried me was that she was making Hailey uncomfortable. I was already having second thoughts about this tutoring to also have to worry about Kimmy being rude.

"N-no." Hailey stuttered, thinking she'd offended Kimberly. She seemed very intimidated by the cheerleader. As most people. Kimmy usually had this effect on others. "It's nice."

The raven-haired girl snorted, and I caught her rolling eyes through the review mirror. I sent her a warning glare and she returned it, but ended sighing. "Whatever." and pulled the door open. "So nice of you to give me a ride."

"Fuck off already."

With a smug smile, she fixed the strand of her bag and mocked a salute before stepping back and turning to make her way in that mansion. I shook my head, getting back into the road.

"Don't mind her that much." I reassured Hailey, who looked at me. "She's all bark."

A small smiled tugged the hem of her lips. "She's pretty intense." but then looked back out the window, fiddling with her fingers. "I didn't mean to be a burden if you had this routine and all."

"You're not." I scoffed, a pang hit my chest at her discomfort.

Maybe she's noticed my unease? But it had nothing to do with her. More about the fact she was coming to my shitty flat for this tutoring crap.

When she first offered, I had assumed we'd be doing it at her farm, even at her cool barn! But apparently today her mother was having an important business dinner - aka Roosevelt High management, and the school's policy was against students near those meetings. Meaning, we couldn't be at her place.