21.

Song: Midnight - Liam Payne

........................................

Nate

Burden

Burden

You know how he gets. Why do you have to be a burden?

"Dude." Seth was suddenly by my side and tried to get a hold of my bottle. "I think you've drunk enough."

"Hey," I pushed his hand away, protectively pulling the bottle closer to my chest and almost tilting it with my new found clumsiness. "Get your own."

"Nate," he sighed tiredly but I wasn't having that. He noticed and gave me a frustrated groan. "Whatever. But you're not driving."

I rolled my eyes, not in the mood of a lecture and tilted my head back nursing the beer. The bitter flavour it left in my mouth was like a balsam, a promise of the relief I craved for the pounding in my side. Even the bruises from the game didn't do anything to muffle that dull throb.

Harold' really had a bad day. It was one of these kinda days that I feared the most, where something triggered him -even the smallest thing, and he'd turn Hulk mood in no time. He was fat, lame and a lazy piece of shit; but he was over six feet tall and his outline was twice mine, so if he wants he can do damage.

You know how he gets.

At first I'd fight back, but it would only lead him to get more mad. My mother had accepted it by now and it made me so angry. Not only she was allowing him to do this to us, but also shrug at it. She'd given up long ago and as much as it hurt, I couldn't force her to fight for us. So I learned to take a blow and just prayed for my eighteen birthday to come as fast as possible.

Why do you have to be such a burden?

I clenched the beer and tilted my head drinking faster.

The game was a good way to get rid of some of this caged adrenaline and frustration, and now I knew I could turn this into my escape if I get a scholarship. The coach had told me he'd be glad to write me a recommendation letter and help with the beaters if I improved my marks. It looked like an impossible task at first, since I was more like the kinda guy that struggled to barely pass, but last week's English essay I got a B+, so I guess the tutoring was working.

"Hi there." a soft voice chimed and the bench by my side bent some more as Trish appeared and took a seat there. Seth rolled his eyes, leaning away and mumbling something under his breath and left with one last warning look. He really didn't like Trish. Never really had. I nodded at her, but turned back to my bottle and drown it. Not enough. "Wow, you're really on, uh?"