34.

Song: Hot N Cold - Katy Perry

........................................

Nate

The teacher's voice was slow, tedious, monotonous... I wanted to give him an adrenaline shot just to see if he could be just a little more vivid. I gotta say I wasn't a fan of Biology either, but even I could see Kimberly's sleepiness was too much. I watched as her lids fluttered close once more and her head dipped further into her hand, losing the fight in staying awake.

"Kimmy." her eyes snapped open with a sharp intake of breath. "Are you listening?"

"Mhm." she relaxed once more, curving over the double desk we shared in the back of the classroom, looking tired as ever. "Yes, yes."

"Yes what?"

"To what you say."

I scoffed. "I haven't said anything."

"Then stop bothering me." she groaned dropping her head into her arms.

It would have been amusing if it wasn't for this bad feeling I was having about this whole scene. Not only her ever-present exhaustion she'd been showing lately, but also her pale skin and dark circles under her eyes.

Even in that huge hoodie I could see she was getting thinner, her cheekbones and collarbone were more prominent each week and there was also this weird behaviour she was having. All closed off, snappier than usual, she barely hangs out with us anymore and when she did it was 'cause we basically forced her to.

If things were weird before, after getting kicked out the squad it has been getting worst... Or maybe because of it she'd been kicked out. I wouldn't know. And she wasn't telling much.

"Are you okay?" I whispered as the teachers monotonous voice kept going on the background, boring the class to the core.

"Mhm." Kimmy didn't even open her eyes. "Just tired."

That was her answer to anything and it was driving me crazy because it was such a blatant lie, as if she took us for stupids.

"You sure?" she opened one eye to glare at me but I just frowned back. "You look sick."

"Wow." she scoffed, rolling her eyes but not making an attempt to explain further. "You know how to make a girl feel special. Is this how you courted Gracie?" I glared at her mock and she chuckled into her arm, but even that sounded tired. "I'm joking. Lighten up."

"Are you seriously telling me that?" she shrugged and I let out a sigh, frustrated at her attitude and absent-mindedly brushed her hair off her face. What I wasn't expecting was that a strand slid along as I retreated the hand, laced in my fingers. My stomach twisted aggressively from the impression. "What-"