45. Part One

Song: Battlefield - Jordin Sparks

........................................

Nate

I could hear my mother's voice from my room, speaking almost in apathy, but the sound was drowned by the loud volume of the TV. I could practically follow the match Harold was watching from here.

He was clearly ignoring her, too focused on the fucking game to spend a second discussing domestic matters with her. The exhaustion in my mother's tone was ripping me from inside, but I forced my words down clenching my jaw as I got ready to leave.

After the amazing game we pulled on yesterday we were all in the mood for a good party, and after the last hours in the garage I was honestly yearning for something more than sit here and listen how my dysfunctional family 'argue'.

I was still amazed my mother came to the match yesterday, but gladly amazed. I mean, sure, I'd been telling her about the scouts and about the important games, but she usually had a shift or couldn't make it. Yet yesterday she did. Probably because the unexpected visit of Uncle Leo but still, having them there had been such a moral support.

And now I was hanging every time the phone rings. I didn't know how long will it take before we got news from the scholarship, but they seemed impressed yesterday, right? Everyone said it was one of our best games, and I felt so proud of myself back then, but as the day stretched and it looked more and more far I began to see all the flaws and overthink about how I should have made things diferent, better.

This growing apprehension wouldn't do me any good and neither would the uncomfortable family situation so I finished lacing my boot, ready to leave.

Gathering the rest Spoty meowed, attacking my shoelaces and rubbing against my ankle when I pulled them out his reach, demanding attention and for a moment I faltered. All these days I'd been homeless, he'd stayed at Kimberly's not daring to leave him alone in the house with Harold when I wasn't around. That was an unnecessary risk I wouldn't take. But that mean I'd been seeing him less than I would like and apparently he's missed me too, because now it'd turned into a needy ball of fur.

"Hey, buddy." I picked it up, surprising myself how much he'd grown in the past month; he still fitting in my palm, but barely. I placed it on the bed as it purred and rolled on his back so I could pet his soft tummy. "I'll be back in a few hours, you stay here."

It was harder to keep Spoty confined because he could easily slide under the door and wander freely around the place, but I was glad he seemed to like my room better and stay here most of the time they were in the flat as well. When they weren't he'd found his favorite spot in one of the pillows of the couch.