5.

Song: High hopes - Panic! At The Disco

........................................

Hailey

/ Four months ago /

MATT: Who's this friend?

I stared at the text for a long second, wondering whether I should respond or not without knowing the reason of my hesitation.

HAILEY: Herond

A loud thud from outside Letty made me jump and when I looked up didn't see the quarterback around.

Oh, shit.

Not waiting for Matt's reply I get out as well and followed the direction drunken Nate had stumbled towards.

"Nate?" I heard curses and went in that direction. "Where are you- Oh." I had to halt abruptly not to step on his waist.

He was laying there, on the grass, ten feet away from the bench of the viewpoint where we could see all the city lights beneath, almost as bright as the amount of starts hovering us.

I got to give it to him, this was such a great spot.

I frowned, carefully sitting by his shamelessly sprawled frame. "You scared me." I mumbled, not sure he was here or lost in his own thoughts for the intensity in his eyes as he glared the sky. "I thought you might have fallen or something."

"I have."

"I mean down the cliff."

"Oh, then I haven't."

I sighed, looking forwards to the view in front of us. This place was really awesome.

I'd came here once or twice with the girls, but usually it was a point for tourists, typical spot where everyone snapped his picture before moving on to the next town. It wasn't like there were a lot of other things here so I kinda understand them.

We weren't a town prepared for visitors, more like a small, familiar one. But since it was dark, both the stars and city lights were like a mirage and gave it an almost mystical halo.

It was quiet and daunting, and my mind drifted away without me noticing. Thinking about Justin again, wondering if I'd ever stood a chance or Karen was always his first choice... Who am I kidding? She obviously was. I mean, she was perfect. Lovely, social, smart, athletic... and I was just, well, me.

My heart ached as I twisted small strands of grass between my fingers. Why couldn't I just un-crush him? It was clear that he wasn't healthy for me and that he already had someone else, then why on earth couldn't I stop my heart from longing for him?