41.

Song: Issues - Julia Michaels

........................................

Nate

Nerves crippled my stomach as I made my way out the class and to my locker. I was so not ready for this.

I was glad high school was on once more, but at the same time as well as this provided a whole new lot of distractions and activities other than rot in my own self misery and sought for other's pity; this also brought a whole new kind of attention back upon me. I was once more in people's spotlight, I was once more pressured under their attention and whether it didn't bother me, it forced me to portray an image I had worked so hard hold on.

Everything was going smoothly, tho. Ever since the very Matt Grace dropped us in the parking lot this morning. Even if everyone now knew I had a girlfriend. Even if most of my teachers decided to go extra hard on us because of the little break. Even if this weekend was the first match since before Christmas and I was sure the coach would go all maniac on us once more.

I was doing pretty well even with those little extra pushes, but at the beginning of this last class the teacher called for me to approach his desk and handed me a note from the counselor, telling me to meet with her before the football practices.

Getting called to the school's counselor was never a good thing. I 'd been summoned there a few times now, always the same questions were asked. Why my lack of focus, what were those bruises, was something bothering me... I'd always played my part in complying with my answers, telling her there was nothing to worry about and she let me go with that piercing stare of hers, the one that told you you didn't outsmart her.

But so far it worked. And it looked to me like Mrs Grace and I had an unspoken deal: she stay away from my business, I keep my troublemaker side at bay.

So why would she now, that I was more focused than I'd been in the past years, call me in for a meeting?

As I got my stuff from the locker I couldn't help but wonder if she knew about me and Hailey? Not in vain, I'd just spent the night in her barn and considering Matt's reaction it wouldn't be that weird to think she wanted to play the protective parent. Although, it would be so awkward if that was the reason.

Back when I dated Trish -due to my lack of other references on the matter- we never once interact with each other's parents. Mine for obvious reasons and hers... well, sometimes it almost felt like she hid me from them. Not that I care, it saved me from situations I didn't want to face; but it kinda hurt my ego too.

Almost as if invoking her, the blond's voice came from the opposite side of the locker's door. "Hello there."

"Hey." I eyed her carefully, not sure what her mood might be today considering our last quarrel barely a few weeks ago. She leaned against the metal locker by my side and I cleared my throat. "How are you?"